If you've ever looked closely at your iPhone screen and noticed tiny white lines running across it, you might wonder what they are. These white lines can exist because of ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD), which can cause damage to the solid state because of the release of static charge. At the same time, these white lines may seem like a minor issue at first glance. Understanding their root cause is important to prevent further damage to your phone's display. Fortunately, this article can help you to solve the white lines on iPhone screen issue. We will tackle the causes and possible solutions and answer some of the common questions about this issue.
Understanding the Cause of White Lines on iPhone Screen
The iPhone has become an indispensable tool in the modern world, allowing people to stay connected, work remotely, and access a wealth of information with just a few taps on the screen. However, one common issue that can arise with regular use is the appearance of a iPhone pink line or white line down iPhone screen. This problem can be caused by many factors, such as:
- Physical Damage - If the iPhone has been dropped or subjected to impact. It can result in a cracked screen that may have white lines.
- Loose Connections - Another common cause of white lines on the iPhone screen is loose connections between the display panel and other internal components.
- Software Issues - Certain software issues can also cause white lines on the iPhone screen, such as outdated software or incompatible third-party apps.
- Hardware Malfunction - In some cases, a hardware malfunction, such as a damaged logic board or failed display component, can cause white lines on an iPhone screen.
- Too Old - iPhones that are too old and have been used for a long period may also show white lines on the screen. For instance, you have been using your iPhone 4 for 3 years.
Effective Ways for White Lines on iPhone Screen
Having a white line on the screen can be frustrating and distracting. After knowing the possible causes of why your iPhone has a white line on the screen. So now, you are looking for troubleshooting methods to solve the problem. This article provides you with eight solutions you can try.
1. Use a System Repair Software
If you are looking for a quick and easy method to fix the iPhone screen turning white with lines issue, using a system recovery tool for iOS is very useful. One of the best iOS recovery tools trending in the market is the AceThinker iOS System Recovery.
- It can fix over 50 iOS-related iOS issues, such as the iPhone's white screen of death, your iPhone freezing/disabled screen, iPhone having white lines on the screen, etc.
- It has two repair modes: Standard and Advanced Mode.
- Suppose your issue is not severe, and you want to keep all your data; choose Standard Mode.
- Select Advanced Mode if your problem is more severe. However, this mode deletes all your data, and your device can turn like new.
- AceThinker iOS System Recovery software supports almost all the iOS devices, such as iPhone (latest/old versions), iPad, and iPod models.
Now, we will proceed to the step-by-step guide to teach you the process.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Connect Your DeviceThe initial direction/instruction to address the issue is downloading and installing the recovery software on your desktop. Subsequently, launch the program and explore its functions first. Then, get a lightning wire and connect your smartphone to your computer. Once your device is connected, click the "Fix" button to proceed to the next step.
Step 2 Select Standard ModeOn the 2 recovery modes, you can see on the interface tool. Select the Standard Mode since the issue is minor. Also, this mode doesn't remove all your data. Next, hit the "Confirm" button to see the available firmware.
Step 3 Download the Latest FirmwareOn the next screen, you can see the firmware with the iOS version, firmware name, file size, and status. Select the firmware that has the latest iOS version. Next, tap the "Download" button to download the newest firmware.
Step 4 Install the FirmwareOnce you've successfully downloaded the firmware, hit the "Next" button to start installing the firmware on your iPhone, and this firmware can fix the white line issue on your device. Afterward, restart your iPhone and kindly check if the white line disappears.
- This tool can fix any issue on your iOS device.
- It is compatible with both Mac and Windows operating system.
- It suitable for all iOS devices.
2. Force Restart Your iPhone
Simply restarting your device can fix some issues including white lines on the iPhone screen. It can refresh your iPhone and helps you to eliminate bugs, like green lines on iPhone screen, white lines, black screen, and more. That's because your applications or operating system may be causing display/screen problems.
- iPhone 8 or later: Press and release the Volume Up and Down buttons quickly individually. Then, push and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
- iPhone 7 or 7 Plus: Hold onto the Volume Down and Side (or Sleep/Wake) buttons together until the Apple logo appears.
- iPhone 6 or older: Press and hold the Home and Side (or Sleep/Wake) buttons together until the Apple logo appears.
3. Restart iPhone in Safe Mode
Another alternative solution is to restart your iPhone in safe mode. This will help you to identify whether any third-party app is causing the issue of the iPhone has white lines on screen. To do this:
- Get your iPhone and push and hold the "Power" button. Then, wait until the "Slide to power off" screen appears on your screen.
- Keep holding the power button for another few seconds until the "Reboot to Safe Mode" option appears. Then, tap the "Ok" button on the prompt and your phone will be restarted in safe mode.
- If the white lines go away, it means that a third-party app is causing the problem and needs to be uninstalled.
4. Update iOS Versions
Apple launched new iOS versions to help to eliminate bugs and improve the performance of iOS devices. Older iOS versions are vulnerable to software glitches which may cause display issues, including the iPhone lines on screen vertical white problem. Therefore, consider updating your iPhone to the latest version. Here's how to do it.
- On your device, click the "Gear" icon, the Settings. Then, it will present you with multiple options, including the "General" option. Tap on the General option, where you can find the "Software Update."
- From there, wait to load until the new iOS version appears on your screen. Next, you can see the "Download and Install" button at the bottom part of its interface. Click on it and wait until the downloading process is completed.
- Once completed, hit "Install Now" to install the new version on your iPhone. Remember that you need a battery life of at least 50 percent or charge your device while installing. Afterward, restart your iPhone and check if the white line disappears.
5. Reset iPhone Settings
If your custom display settings have a glitch, it also may cause a white line through iPhone screen or any lines on iPhone screen horizontal. So considering resetting your iPhone is another way to fix the issue. Also, grant your phone with refresh settings. You can follow the instructions below.
- On your iPhone, open the pre-application, which is the "Settings." On the next screen, scroll down until you find the "General" option. On the General option, scroll down until you reach the bottom and click "Transfer or Reset iPhone."
- From here, you can see two options: Reset and Erase All Content and Settings, so you can choose how you want to reset your iPhone. Select the "Reset" option and proceed to the next step.
- Reset options come up with another 5 options. On the given options, tap "Reset All Settings," and you need to enter your home passcode to confirm the action. Afterward, restart your device and check if the white line on your screen has vanished.
6. Disable Reduce Motion
Some users have reported that turning off Reduce Motion can eliminate the white lines on their iPhone screen, as it reduces the motion effects on the screen. To disable the Reduce Motion, follow the guide below.
- Go to your iPhone's screen settings by tapping the "Settings" app. Scroll down to find "Accessibility" and tap on it.
- Once you're in the Accessibility menu, on the "Vision" tab, you will see the "Motion" option. Tap on "Motion," and from there, you can find "Reduce Motion."
- Turn off the toggle switch next to "Reduce Motion" to turn off this feature. Afterward, restart your iPhone and check if the white lines have disappeared.
7. Do the DFU Restore Mode
If your iPhone screen still shows white lines after disabling Reduce Motion, performing a DFU restore mode might help resolve the issue. However, it's important to note that the DFU restore mode will erase all data on your iPhone, so ensure you have a backup before proceeding. To do this:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer/PC/laptop using a lightning wire and open iTunes. Make sure that your iTunes app is updated. Press and hold the Power and Home buttons (or Volume Down buttons for iPhone X or later) simultaneously for about 8 seconds.
- Continue holding the Home button (or Volume Down button for iPhone X or later) while releasing the Power button. Wait until iTunes detects your iPhone in recovery mode.
- Select "Restore iPhone" in iTunes and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the DFU restore process. Wait for the restore process to complete, and your iPhone should restart without the white line on the screen.
8. Seek Professional Help
If you're still experiencing white lines on your iPhone screen, contact Apple Support for further assistance. They may be able to diagnose the issue and offer a solution. Additionally, it may be time to take your iPhone to a professional for repair. They can inspect the hardware and replace any damaged components. Contact Apple or a certified repair shop for assistance.
Commonly Asked Questions About White Lines on iPhone Screen
To conclude, the white lines on iPhone screen after drop can be caused by various factors such as software glitches, physical damage, or hardware issues. Some fixes include resetting the device, updating the software, seeking professional repair services, or using a third-party app like AceThinker iOS System Recovery. It is recommended that users address the issue as soon as possible to avoid any inconvenience. In summary, taking prompt action and being cautious with the phone can help prevent the white line on the iPhone screen and ensure its longevity.