Video is an exceptional entertainment medium that has been created. Although we have better technology now to enhance videos, still, this medium needs additional adjustments. One of the basic functions of video editing is cropping video files. This process allows users to remove borders or unwanted parts of the project video. It also helps users adjust the aspect ratio of the video files to fit different media players. As the technology blossomed, many video editing utilities offered the simplest way to crop the project videos. Yet, one of the trusted and well-known croppers is FFmpeg. This tool enables users to input command-line functions to perform the task. Do you want to understand how to FFmpeg crop a video? Read more below to know its simple steps, and we also have bonus alternatives.
How to Crop Video with FFmpeg
Distinctive Feature: It uses command-line tools designed to process video and audio files.
What is it Best for?: This software is best as a part of the workflow of different editing software.
FFmpeg is an open-source video editing utility consisting of programs and libraries to handle audio and video streams. This tool has three command-line functions to enhance and handle multimedia streams. The first function is FFmpeg, which allows users to convert video formats on different containers. This function can also capture and encode various hardware and software sources, including TV capture cards. Users can crop the video using different techniques such as "-ss" code on this command. Besides that, FFplay is a media player that can help users preview their project videos. The last one is the FFprobe is a command-line that displays information such as text, command-separated value, and others.
- The initial guide is to install the FFmpeg tool on your device. Run its installer on your device system. Launch the tool to get familiar with its function and process.
- Select the video you want to crop and right-click it. You can see an option to "Open Command Window Here ." Doing this will open a new window to see the FFmpeg syntax. You will be given a set of commands and codes that you need to modify to crop the video. These are X position and Y position codes. X position represents the horizontal cropping point, and the Y position defines the vertical cropping position. Modify these two to crop the video.
- Lastly, let the tool analyze the command input that you added. Once the process has been done, go back to your video. Preview and play the video to check if the cropping functions have been applied.
Best FFmpeg Alternative to Crop Video
Distinctive Feature: It uses a box indicator to manually crop videos.
What is it Best for?: It is suitable for editing video demos, tutorials, and vlogs.
AceThinker Video Editor is a notable video editor for vlogs that offers basic editing functions. One of its prominent functions is cropping video. It enables users to remove unwanted frames and borders for their project video. It also helps users to get the particular part of the frame. Additionally, this process is possible while retaining the original file of the video. This tool is also equipped with other beautification tools to enhance the project video. It can be used as a video background changer, add voice overs, and a picture-in-picture function. Besides, it also has a built-in media player that enables users to preview the changes applied to the project video. What is more, it does not have any complicated code or a walkthrough to crop the video. This feature is lacking in the FFmpeg tool, which makes it the best alternative tool to crop videos.
Try it for Free
User Guide to Crop on this FFmpeg Crop Video Size Alternative.
Step 1 Install the FFmpeg Alternative
To begin, you need to download AceThinker Video Editor on your device. Do this by clicking the download button above this step. After acquiring the installer, run it on your computer’s system. Pass through all the prompts and wizards to fully install the tool. Once installed, launch its interface to get familiarized with its functions.
Step 2 Select and Add the Video
Next, go to its media tab and select the import button to add your media files. The function will give you access to your computer’s folders. Access and select your desired video. Hit the Open button to import the video files on the tool’s system.
Step 3 FFmpeg Crop and Resize Alternate Process
Then, no source code needs to be modified on this tool, unlike the FFmpeg tool. You need to drag and drop the media files on the timeline editing panel. After, highlight the video to enable different functions, including the cropping feature. Eventually, access the cropping tool; a box will allow you to crop the video manually.
Step 4 Save and Export Video
After that, hit the OK button to save the changes applied to the project video. You can also enhance and apply different beautifications to it. You can add filters, audio tracks, and annotations to the project video. After the changes, you can save the video by clicking the export button.
Step 5 Play and Preview the Cropped Video
Hover over the output folder to preview and play the video for the finale. You can compare the output and the original files to check the changes thoroughly. Suppose you want to crop video again, follow through the steps above.
Another Three Alternative To FFmpeg Crop Video Time
Distinctive Feature: It has a default function that the tool will detect and crop the black background of the video.
What is it Best For?: It is well-known for its vast video presets suitable for different media players and devices.
HandBrake is an open-source and free transcoder dedicated to digital video containers. It was initially developed to rip DVDs to a data storage device. It is one of the notable video editing utilities that can enhance project videos. One of its essential functions is video cropping. It enables users to crop the video with its custom functions manually. This makes Handbrake a better alternative to crop video than FFmpeg. Nevertheless, it can also reduce the aspect ratio automatically. This process is necessary to decrease the encoding time of the tool to process the video file. The brief walkthrough on crop video with FFmpeg alternative is underneath this intro.
- First, install HandBrake on your device. Get its installer and analyze it on your device. Once done, launch the tool to import your media files. Hit the add to queue option to import your media files. Under the Picture functions, you can see the size option.
- Next, optimize the width and height indicator to crop and resize the video. Hit the Start Encoding function to instigate the process. Once done, go to the output folder to preview and play the video.
Distinctive Feature: The process with this tool can be automated using its projects, jb queues, and scripting capabilities.
What is it Best For?: This software is suitable for encoding or configuring a video file.
Avidemux is a free video editing utility that provides quick edits and cuts. It is notable for its simple scrubbing of video files. It is also used to set up and polish the start and end markers of the video files. Not only that, its central core is to crop video files into the correct aspect ratio. It provides users with cropping controls that have width and length indicators. This indicator allows users to insert a specific pixel, and the tool will automatically crop the footage. This feature makes Avidemux one of the suitable alternative solutions for FFmpeg. Beneath is the user guide on how to crop with Avidemux.
- The initial step is to install Avidemux on your device. Run and process its installation package, then launch the tool. Import your video files by selecting the File menu to browse your computer's folders. Once imported, access the video filter manager and crop media files.
- Utilize the cropping controls to resize the project video. Click the Ok option to save the changes applied to it. Then, go to the File Tab and select save to export the footage. Open it in its designated folder once the process has finished. Preview and play it.
Distinctive Feature: This tool enables users to import video files from cloud-based platforms.
What is it Best For?: This is suitable for cropping video for social media platforms. These sites include YouTube, Instagram, and more.
Clideo is an online-based video utility that caters to crop clips and footage. It can add video files from different cloud-based storage such as Google Drive and Dropbox. It is equipped with a different aspect ratio; these proportions include 1:1, 16:9, 9:16, and 5:4. In addition, it has a width and length indicator by typing the exact video pixels. What is more, its website is secure and safe. After the process, the imported files will be automatically removed with its powerful API. This feature is lacking in FFmpeg. See below the guidelines on how to use Clideo to crop video.
- The first step is to access Clideo in your web browsers. Click the choose file to import your video files into its system. Then, a media player will appear that enables users to play the video file. On its side are the listed aspect ratios available on its system.
- Select one from these ratios and click the export option. This process will automatically save the video file into your output folder. Go to its designation and play and preview the files.
List of Aspect Ratio Video Enthusiasts Needs to Know
In this part, we will tackle the standard ratio that you can apply to your project video. Aspect ratios differ on every platform and media player. Thus you must know which proportion you should use in your project video.
|Aspect Ratio||Suitable For|
|4:3 or 1.33:1||Standard television ratio (old models)|
|2.59:1 to 2.65:1||Cinerama|
|2.35:1 to 2.66:1||Cinemascope|
|Software||Target Audience||Supported Formats||Limitations|
|FFmpeg||Professionals||GIF, FLV, AVI, ASF, AIFF, and others||Too technical for new users for simple editing tasks like cropping video.|
|AceThinker Video Editor||Basic, Prosumer, Professionals||MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI, and many more.||Not available on mobile devices.|
|HandBrake||Professionals||MP4 or M4V, MKV, MOV, MPG or MPEG, AVI, and WMV||Cannot mix multiple file containers in one output.|
|Avidemux||Basic||MP4, AVI, MKV, and more||Sometimes buggy when editing large video file sizes.|
|Clideo||Basic||MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, AVI, and others||The import process is slower than other online-based croppers.|