In the world of video creation, getting error-free footage is an impossible thing to do. Even if you have more excellent skills, focusing on a particular goal without making mistakes is not workable. That is why many developers created different editing functions to aid you in achieving your objectives. One of these features is cropping. This function is an editing feature that allows users to choose what part of a video or image frame they want to get. It is often used for editing images and photos to adjust frames and avoid reshooting. In the video editing field, post-production staff use this function to emphasize or remove unwanted parts of the video. Video enthusiasts will reduce production costs and cut errors with the cropping function. They can also save effort and labor to reshoot the whole scene. For internet users, there are different tools to perform the cropping function. One of these programs is Windows Movie Maker. This software is an inbuilt tool for Windows OS to perform essential editing functions. Have you thought of ways on how to crop video in Movie Maker? Well, this article curated them for you.
Ways on How to Crop a Video in Windows Movie Maker
Supported Platforms: Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7
Supported Formats: WMV/.ASF, MPG (MPEG-1), AVI (DV-AVI), WMA, WAV, and MP3.
Windows Movie Maker is also touted as Windows Live Movie Maker. It is a discontinued video editing utility developed by Microsoft. It was part of the essential tools of the Windows operating system to edit and create video clips. It is equipped with essential editing functions to enhance project videos. Yet, it is free software; it has its limitations. One of its fallbacks is it is unable to crop video on different aspect ratios. Its cropping function can only crop images and photos. With these fallbacks, it can only allows users to have slideshow or montage for cropped videos. Nevertheless, it offers different functions for reducing the aspect ratio of your video. You can modify the project video’s frame by using its zoom animation. To know how to crop video in Windows Movie Maker with zoom animation, follow the listed steps below.
- It can export videos from social platforms like Facebook, Vimeo, YouTube, and others.
- It can get a snapshot or still image on your project video.
- An inbuilt media player equips this tool to preview the cropped video.
Steps to crop video with Windows Video Editor:
- The initial step is to open the Windows Movie Maker on your device. Note that this tool is only pre-installed on Windows 7,8, and 8.1 versions. Windows 10 devices will not be able to install it.
- The next step is to import your video files on its system by ticking the Add Videos button located at the upper part of the tool. Drag and drop the video on its editing panel and go to the Animations tab. There, access the Pan and Zoom function to apply the animation. Select your desired effects to remove the unwanted frames of your video.
- Lastly, go to the Home tab and hit the Save Movie to export the video. Access its output folder to play and preview the cropped video.
Best Windows Movie Maker Substitute to Crop Video
Supported Platforms: Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows 7; Mac OS X 10.11 and above
Supported Formats: MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, WAV, MP3, FLAC, OGG, M4A, WMA, AAC, OGG, and many more.
AceThinker Video Editor is a suitable video editor for vlogs with its essential editing functions. One of its features is cropping a video. With this function, it enables users to crop videos freely and manually. This process will enable users to customize the preferred aspect ratio of their project video. It can also export videos in high-quality output. Even if you have cropped the video into the smallest ratio, the quality will retain and not distort. This is the main reason why this tool is the best alternative for Movie Maker. What is more, it is designed with video enhancing functions. These features are filtering, adding annotations, splitting, video background changer, and more. Lastly, its interface is comprehensive to navigate. You can also click the tutorial option to know more about its functions and navigation.
- It can export movies directly to popular social media platforms like YouTube, Bilibili, Vimeo, and more.
- You can create and customize watermark logos for your original videos.
- It only requires 1GB of RAM; even with a low-end PC, this tool works smoothly.
Try it for Free
Walkthrough to Crop Video Windows video editor alternative:
Step 1 Install the Windows Movie Maker Alternative
The first guide to follow is by installing the AceThinker Video Editor on your device. Tick any of the download buttons above to get its installer. Then, run it on your device and pass through the installation wizards. Complete the installation and launch its interface to navigate and familiarize its features.
Step 2 Import the Video File
The subsequent step is to add your video file by ticking the import button located under the Media tab. It will provide you access to your device’s folders. Browse and locate the video you want to crop. Then, hit the Open button to add the video successfully. The video file will be located at the Media tab, ready to edit and enhance.
Step 3 Crop Video Windows Movie Maker Alternative Process
Next, drag and drop the video file on the timeline editing panel. Highlight it to access functions located at the uppermost part of the panel. Access the crop function to open its capabilities. Then a border will appear to crop the video, toggle directly, and resize it to crop the video. You can utilize the media player to preview the video while cropping its ratio.
Step 4 Export the Cropped Video
Afterward, click the OK button to save the changes made on the project video. You can use its different functions to enhance the video further. Then, tick the Export button to access its options. Here you can modify the output folder, format, quality, name, and more. You can also add subtitle files and audio files for the project video. Hit the Export button once more to instigate the process.
Step 5 Locate and Play the Video File
The last guide is to locate the video in its output folder. Double-click the video to play and preview it. Suppose you want to crop another video file, follow the steps provided above.
Three Alternative Solutions to Crop the Videos
Supported Platforms: Web browsers including Chrome, Firefox, and more.
Supported Formats: AVI, MPG, MP4, MOV, WMV, and all the other video formats.
Clideo is one of the leading online video editors that provides smooth and faster editing functions. One of its prominent features is cropping video ratios. This tool has prepared different sizes that are set by default for popular social media platforms. These sizes include 1:1 for Instagram, 16:9 for YouTube, 9: 16 for IG stories, and 5: 4 for Facebook. Moreover, you can crop video size with your preferred size with the help of its pixel indicator. Lastly, this tool is secured with advanced algorithms. All of the imported files are eradicated after the editing session has ended. This security Clideo has is lacking on Movie Maker.
- It is equipped with an intuitive interface with a few buttons on its functions.
- This tool is also accessible in mobile web browsers.
- The webpage offers a written walkthrough for easy guides and cropping process.
Supported Platforms: Web browsers including Chrome, Explorer, and more.
Supported Formats: M4A, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP3, MP4, MPE, MPEG, MPG4, OGA, OGG, OPUS and other video formats.
Veed.io is another online-based Movie Maker crop video alternative with ist editing functions. Despite being an online tool, it has an editing panel that aids users in achieving better outcomes. In addition, cropping video with this tool is easy. Users can freely select different ratios under its Size option. Choose on its dropdown that includes ratios like Square (1:1), Twitter and Facebook landscape (5:4), TikTok 9:16, and more. These variations of video ratios are not found on Windows Movie Maker. Moreover, it has different editing features like color correction, video duration, and more.
- It can clean and enhance the audio aspect of your video file.
- It has inbuilt annotation texts perfect for creating title cards.
- Users can upload videos from different cloud-based storage like Dropbox.
Supported Platforms: iOS, iPad, and macOS
Supported Formats: M4V, MOV MP4, and others
iMovie is a pre-installed application and editing utility for Apple devices. It is designed with essential editing functions; one of these is cropping videos. Its cropping process is excellent; it allows users to freely select the area to crop. It uses borders to select the aspect ratio of your video manually. This feature is Movie Maker’s fallback; thus, it is one of the great Windows Movie Maker alternatives. Moreover, it can export videos to different social media platforms. Some of these sites are Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, and more. Lastly, its interface is intuitive enough; even without a video demo, you can navigate its functions.
- It has 14 video templates with stunning graphic design.
- It has a green screen effect, split-screen effects, and picture-in-picture function.
- It supports a 4K editing function.
Reminder: When You Should Crop Your Video
Below are a few reminders when you need to crop your video. You can always use the cropping process whenever you experience these scenarios.
- When you fit footage in a specific time frame.
- Patching an error or mistake, most especially in screen recording.
- Removing borders or black bars. This bar is usually for mobile videos.
- Showing an action scene happening in different areas of your screen.
- Isolating one part of the frame.
FAQs about Cropping Video in Windows
1. Can You Crop Video in Movie Maker?
Unfortunately, Windows Movie Maker does not have any command to crop the video frames. Nevertheless, you can utilize its Pan and Zoom animation to crop project videos. Aside from that, users can download different alternative software to crop videos for their Windows PC.
2. What is the best alternative to Crop Video in Windows?
One of the prominent tools to use is the AceThinker Video Editor. With its timeline editing panel, users can easily customize the aspect ratio of their project video. It also provides lossless quality output making the process efficient and effective.
3. How do you crop videos for your Windows PC?
To crop video, all you need to do is install the AceThinker Video Editor on your PC. Once done, launch the tool and import your project video. Then, drag and drop the video with its timeline editing panel. Utilize the crop and adjust the frame ratio of your video. Lastly, export it and save the file to your output folder.