Notes is a record-taking software developed by Apple. It comes with both iOS and macOS operating systems, starting with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Besides, it functions as a service for making short text notes, which can be synchronized between devices using Apple's iCloud service. The iPhone's Notes app is incredibly handy since it allows you to jot down ideas and even tasks that you wish to work on later. People have been using the application for personal and professional note-taking for a long time. However, there is a drawback that frustrates users: just like any other form of data, what is kept in Notes is quite easy to lose from time to time. A simple iOS update, jailbreak failure, or unintentional deletion can be a reason why you lose your notes. Since certain notes are so important that we can't afford to lose them, finding efficient techniques to recover them is a key goal. Things will be easier for you if you have already backed up your Notes. However, there are occasions when you inadvertently erase or lose notes before you get a chance to back them up. Fortunately, there are solutions for both situations, and this article will teach you how to retrieve deleted notes on iPhone.
Check Recently Deleted Folder
If you are using iOS 11 or later (including iOS 14), you will find a folder called "Recently Deleted" in the Notes application. This folder grants you to retrieve deleted notes, but as the word "Recently" implies, notes are only available here for 30 days. The deleted Notes will be removed permanently after 30 days. Thus, you might need to check the "Recently Deleted" folder to restore Notes that were deleted during the last 30 days.
Here is the guide on how to find deleted notes on iPhone:
- On your iPhone, open the "Notes" application and find the "Recently Deleted" folder.
- Hit the "Edit" button on the upper right corner of your iPhone.
- Choose the notes you wish to recover, then click the "Move" button.
- After that, select a folder on your iPhone as the destination folder.
How to Recover Notes on iPhone from iTunes
Although the primary focus of iTunes is music, offering a library organization, collection, and storage of the user's music collection. As the years passed iTunes became one of Apple's tools for syncing data between iOS devices and Mac. If you often backed up your iPhone data with iTunes, it is likely that your deleted notes are still on iTunes backups. Thus, it can be the solution on how to get notes back on iPhone. However, you need to take note that the backup will always depend on your most recent backup data. Also, the official method does not let you preview the content of your backups, so you have to finish the process to see if it contains the notes you wish to restore.
Here is the guide on how you can retrieve your deleted notes on iPhone via iTunes:
- First, launch iTunes on your computer, then connect your iPhone to the computer using your USB cord.
- After that, click the iPhone icon to access your device.
- Then, hit the "Summary" option and hit the "Restore Backup" button to restore iPhone to the latest iTunes backup.
- Once you are done, check your Notes if the files you are looking for are restored.
How to Restore Notes on iPhone via iCloud
Suppose you have turned on iCloud backups, your deleted notes might be in your iCloud backup file. The only thing that defers if your files are not synced or backed up on your iCloud is that it is disabled on your iPhone's settings. In fact, most users recover their lost data from their iCloud account which can be accessed through Apple ID. In this scenario, all you have to do is to get your accidentally deleted notes back on your iPhone from your iCloud backup.
Here is the guide on how you can retrieve your deleted notes on iPhone via iCloud:
- On your iPhone, go to "Setting" then go to the "General" and hit the "Reset" button.
- After that, hit the "Erase All Content and Settings."
- Then, click the "Restore from iCloud Backup" and you are required to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Choose an iCloud backup that contains your deleted notes from the list of options and wait until the process end.
How to Restore Notes on iPhone using Note Recovery
Recover deleted or lost notes with the help of the most reliable note recovery tool called AceThinker iOS System Recovery. This software can easily retrieve your lost notes from your iOS device directly or from your iTunes and iCloud backup. Apart from notes users can also recover photos, videos, audio, and more. Besides, it lets you preview the data you want to recover, so you can easily navigate the files you need. Another good thing about this tool is it supports all iOS devices so users do not need to worry about what unit they are using.
Try it for Free
Here is the guide on how you can recover your deleted notes on iPhone using Note Recovery:
- The first thing you need to do is to save the tool on your computer. Then launch the setup wizard and finish all the prompts to install it.
- After that, connect your device to your computer using a USB cable. you have to ensure that your device is not synced on iTunes, which may overwrite the lost data.
- Once the tool has recognized your device, click the "Start Scan" option. The tool will show you the results of your scanned data including the deleted notes from your device.
- Choose the files you need, you can preview the notes before clicking the "Recover" button.
FAQs about Notes
Is it possible to recover lost iPhone notes?
As mentioned above you can definitely recover deleted iPhone notes. If you've unintentionally erased a Note that you need, you may restore it on your iPhone using the Notes app through "Recently Deleted" or an iCloud or iTunes backup. You can also use a third-party tool to recover your deleted notes.
Why have all of my notes vanished from my iPhone?
In addition to sending and receiving emails, your iPhone's email accounts may also keep notes. When notes vanish, they may not have been erased, but rather remain on a server linked to your email account. And there's a problem with your email address, which is why you can't view them in the Notes app.
Did Apple remove the Recently Deleted?
If you've used up all of your cloud storage, the deleted photographs will not be preserved in the Recently Deleted folder but will be permanently removed unless you free up more space. Furthermore, images deleted from My Photo Stream or shared albums are not stored in Recently Deleted.