Have you ever experienced missing important calls on your iPhone? It can be frustrating and worrisome, especially from someone you need to speak with urgently. You may wonder why you are unable to answer calls on iPhone. One possible reason you are unable to answer calls on your iPhone is a glitch in its software or hardware. It may be that your phone's microphone or speaker is faulty, or an issue with its network connection or call settings. Alternatively, you may have accidentally turned on the "Do Not Disturb" mode, which can block incoming calls and notifications. Another reason you may be unable to answer calls on your iPhone is that you're experiencing poor signal reception or coverage. This can happen if you're in an area with weak cellular or Wi-Fi signals or using an outdated or incompatible SIM card. Sometimes, the problem may be with your carrier's network infrastructure or policies. Whatever your inability to answer calls on your iPhone, it's important to address the issue promptly and effectively. Fortunately, there are several solutions to troubleshoot and resolve this problem, depending on the root cause. In the next sections, we'll explore common solutions and tips for fixing this issue on your iPhone.
4 Basic Methods to Fix iPhone Can't Answer Calls
Have you ever experienced that your iPhone cant answer calls? If so, you're not alone. Many iPhone users have encountered this frustrating issue at some point. It's a common problem that can arise for a variety of reasons, but luckily, there are several basic solutions you can try to resolve the issue.
Method 1. Reset All Settings
One of the first methods you can try to fix the issue of being unable to answer calls on your iPhone is resetting all settings. This option can eliminate any potential software glitches or conflicts causing the problem. Or maybe some incorrect settings were accidentally enabled, which caused the issue. However, this method will erase all personalized settings on your iPhone. Luckily, you can customize it again once the issue is fixed. You can follow the steps below.
- To start with, get your smartphone and enter your passcode to unlock it. Then, find the "Gear" icon, which represents the Settings app, and tap on it. Once you're on it, you can see the settings menu.
- From the settings menu, scroll down and find the option "General." Click on it and scroll down until you reach the bottom part. You can tap the "Transfer or Reset iPhone" option from there.
- Click on that option to see two types of resets available. Tap on the "Reset" option to find the "Reset All Settings." Next, you need to enter your password to initiate the reset process. After the process, try making a test call and see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 2. Reset Network Settings
Another method to resolve the iPhone can't answer calls slider issue is to reset network settings. Resettings network settings can fix some problems, like iPhone cutting out during calls or being unable to answer calls. This process will reset all network-related settings on your iPhone, including Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth connections, and cellular settings. Doing this can eliminate any potential network conflicts causing the problem. Follow the guide below.
- On your iPhone, go to the Settings app and find the "General" option on the menu provided. Tap the general option and go to the last option, "Transfer or Reset iPhone."
- Click on that option to provide you with the two reset options. One is the "Reset" option, and the other is the "Erase All Content and Settings."
- Choose the "Reset" option; inside that, you will find the "Reset Network Settings" option. Tap on the reset network settings and confirm your action by entering your passcode. After that, try to call and see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 3. Remove and Insert Your SIM Card Back
Removing and re-inserting your SIM card can help troubleshoot any connectivity issues causing your iPhone to have trouble answering calls. Also, you are resetting the connection between your phone and your network provider. This simple solution can often resolve any network issues that interfere with your ability to answer calls. See the tutorial below.
- The initial guide to removing your SIM card is to locate the SIM card tray on your iPhone. iPhone models that the SIM tray is on the left-hand side: iPhone 14 series, iPhone 13 series, and iPhone 12 series. iPhone models that the SIM tray is on the right-hand side: iPhone 11 series, iPhone X series, iPhone SE (1st, 2nd and 3rd generation), iPhone 8/Plus, iPhone 7/Plus, iPhone 6 series, iPhone 5 series, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 4 (GSM model)
- Use the SIM eject tool that came with your iPhone or a paperclip to push into the hole on the tray gently. This will release the tray from the phone.
- Then, take out the SIM card and inspect it for any damage or dirt. You may need to replace the SIM card if there's any visible damage. If it looks clean, re-insert the SIM card into the tray and push it back into your phone until it clicks. Afterward, try to call yourself and test if the issue has been resolved.
Method 4. Force Restart iPhone
If you are experiencing that your iPhone cannot answer incoming calls, another method you can try is performing a force restart. This simple process involves simultaneously pressing and holding the power and the home button (or volume down button on newer models) until the Apple logo appears on the screen. This can help resolve any software glitches and bugs causing the problem and allow you to answer calls normally. Trying this method before moving on to more complex troubleshooting steps is always a good idea.
3 Advanced Methods to Fix iPhone Can't Answer Calls
The listed above solutions are just basic ones. Suppose you are still experiencing the issue after trying them out. Here are three advanced methods that can help you fix the problem of your iPhone not being able to answer calls.
Method 1. Update Your iPhone OS to The Latest
Updating your iPhone's operating system to the latest version can often resolve various software glitches and bugs, including iPhone making random calls when locked and can't call out on iPhone but can text issues. By updating your iPhone's OS, you can ensure you have the most up-to-date software, including bug fixes and optimizations that can resolve issues. However, you need a stable internet connection and sufficient battery life of at least 50%. You can follow the instructions below to update your iPhone's operating system.
- The first step to update your iPhone operating system is to access the Settings application. Find the "Gear" icon, which represents the Settings app. Tap on the icon to launch the Settings menu.
- Next, you can see a "Software Update" on the settings menu when an update is available. Alternatively, you can go to the General menu and tap the "Software Update" option.
- Once you see the "Download and Install" button, tap on it to begin downloading. Once done, your iPhone will automatically reboot to install the latest OS. Afterward, get another phone and call your iPhone to see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 2. Restore Your iPhone via iTunes Restore
If you still can't answer calls on iPhone after updating the operating system, you may consider performing a restore of your device via iTunes. Returning to its original settings and setting up your device as new can often resolve this issue. However, before proceeding to the restoration, it is important to back up your data because it will erase all your data and settings. Furthermore, you can back up your data without iTunes; visit this link to learn the process. But for now, follow the instructions below to restore your iPhone via iTunes.
- To start with, connect your mobile device to your PC or laptop using a USB charger wire. Then, launch the iTunes application on your computer. Ensure you have the latest version of it for the successful restoration.
- Once the iPhone is connected, you should see its icon appear in the top left corner of the iTunes window. Tap the mobile icon and select the "Summary" tab on the left sidebar. The Summary tab contains some of your iPhone's information.
- From there, you can also see the "Restore iPhone" button, which we will focus on for this method. Click on it and follow the prompts to confirm the restoration process. Once finished, disconnect your device on your PC and try to call your phone and see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 3. Fix iPhone Can't Answer Calls without Data Loss
Top Feature: By just downloading the firmware package, it can return your mobile device to its original function.
Best For?: This software is best for users who don't want to lose data during troubleshooting.
After trying the two advanced methods listed above, the issue remains. There is one more method you can try to fix the iPhone can't answer incoming calls without losing any data. You can try using third-party recovery software. One highly recommended tool is the AceThinker iOS System Recovery. This tool has proven effective in resolving various iOS issues, such as iPhone can't answer calls, being stuck in the Apple logo, can't update, and more. Moreover, it has two repair modes that help you to fix issues depending on your situation. The first repair mode is the Standard Mode, which can fix common iOS problems without causing data loss. The second mode of repair is Advanced Mode, which can solve more severe issues and perform a deep repair of your iPhone but may result in data loss. Furthermore, you can install this software on Windows and Mac, and it supports almost all iOS devices, such as iPhone, iPad, and iPod models.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Connect Your SmartphoneTo begin with, you must download the software on your computer and install it afterward. Then, link your device to your PC using a lightning cable. Once connected, you can see your smartphone's information, such as name, device type, serial number, etc. From the main page, hit the "Fix" button to give the software permission to scan your device.
Step 2 Choose Mode Without Data LossFrom the next page, you can see the repair modes of the tool. Choose the Standard Mode, which helps you to fix the issue. Also, this mode can protect your data while doing the recovery process. Now, tap the "Confirm" button to confirm your choice.
Step 3 Download a Firmware PackageHere, you will see the available firmware package that can help you to resolve your issue. Download the package with the latest version by clicking the "Download" button beside it. Afterward, tap the "Next" button to start installing the package.
Step 4 Final ResultOnce the total progress reaches 100%, it means that the installation process is done. You can now disconnect your mobile phone from your computer and restart your device. Lastly, call your phone number to check if the issue has been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Comparison of the 3 Advanced Methods
|Methods||Software Update||iTunes Restore||AceThinker iOS System Recovery|
|Required Time||It can take some time to complete the update and may require a stable internet connection.||It can be time-consuming and requires a computer with iTunes installed.||Acethinker iOS System Recovery option can quickly resolve the issue.|
|Data Loss after Fixing||It doesn't result in any data loss.||It results in data loss.||It doesn't result in any data loss.|
|What Issues Can be Fixed?||This option may not fix all issues related to the inability to answer calls.||Like the update iPhone option, it may not fix all issues related to the problem.||It can fix all software issues related to the inability to answer calls.|