Have you recently bought an iPhone, but it is not working properly? Your iPhone screen is frozen and won’t turn off? Or have an old one and now you are facing the most common problem of the iPhone not switching off. You may be worried that your newly bought iPhone is a knockoff or your old one is now broken. The reason your iPhone won't turn off is that there is either a technical problem with the hardware inside of your iPhone, the screen freezing or not working at all, or it could be a problem with your connection. Whatever the case, here is how you can easily fix an iPhone which won't turn off.
Why Does Your iPhone Won't Turn off?
Before fixing your problem, let’s talk about the root causes of the iPhone not turning off. The most common problem behind your iPhone not switching off might be software problems that have caused your iPhone screen to be frozen and subsequently causing the iPhone won’t turn off. Another thing that might be causing your device problems ultimately leading to where you cannot turn off the iPhone device can be your broken sleep/wake button. If your button is broken your iPhone will not turn off and on. Lastly, if somehow your screen has been damaged and won't respond to your taps anymore, the iPhone will not power off. All of these problems will result in the iPhone not shutting down. However, there are ways that you can fix this issue by following the five quick and easy methods mentioned below.
5 Ways to Fix iPhone Won’t Turn Off Issue in 2021
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
You can force restart an iPhone 6 or any older version of the iPhone by pressing both the Power (wake/sleep) and the home button simultaneously. Press both of these buttons for at least 10 seconds. The screen will turn black after you do this and the logo of Apple will appear on the screen, let go of the buttons when it appears. For force restarting an iPhone 7, plus long-press the power button with the volume button instead of using the home button. Similar to version 6 hold it for at least ten seconds and let go when the Apple logo appears on the screen. This is the simplest of techniques when you cannot turn off the iPhone.
2. Turn off iPhone using Assistive Touch
You can turn on the Assistive Touch feature on your iPhone and if your touch screen is working then you can turn off your iPhone. This is the easiest way to fix my iPhone. It is frozen and won’t turn off the issue. It won't cause any data or damage to your phone.
Here’s a Guide on How to do it:
- Tap on the box of Assistive Touch on your screen. A pop-up screen will emerge.
- From the various options select Device and click on Lock Screen from the new features and hold it for a few seconds.
- By doing this, the Power screen will show on your screen, and then, simply slide the bar and turn off your iPhone.
3. Restore iPhone using iTunes/Finder
Sometimes, it's not so simple to fix a software issue or firmware problem. If your iPhone won't turn on after you have tried the soft reset, then it is time to use iTunes (PCs and Macs computer running Mac OS 10.14 or later) or Finder (Macs with mac OS 10.15 and newer) to reset its software.
Reset with the help of iTunes
- Connect your iPhone device to a computer with iTunes installed.
- When the iPhone appears, choose your iPhone. Click first the “backup now” option to back up all your iPhone data to your computer.
- And then, choose “restore a backup” to bring up a list with backups that you can choose from; select the backup you have just created.
- iTunes will give certain prompts to follow them for restoring your iPhone to its original configuration. After that, unplug the iPhone and then test it. now you should be able to turn off your iPhone.
Reset with the help of Finder
- Use a Lightning cable to connect your iPhone and Mac.
- Open Finder. Locate your iPhone on the left sidebar of Finder.
- Click on the “Restore Backup” button. Next, you will need to select the backup that you have just created from the list.
- Follow the prompts for restoring your iPhone.
4. Use an iPhone System Recovery Tool
Another way to fix the issue is an advanced system recovery tool like AceThinker Fone Keeper - iOS System Recovery. It will not only repair abnormal iOS systems, such as iPhone disabled, charge issue or loop restart, battery drain, and so on but also provides Standard or Advanced modes, which will help you get rid of all systematic issues from your phone. All iOS devices and iOS versions are supported, including iPhone 12, iOS 14, and older. Both Windows and Mac are supported. AceThinker Fone Keeper - iOS System Recovery provides two repair modes that can restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch back to normal. The standard mode can be used to repair any iOS device and it will not wipe your data. Advanced mode allows you to repair your device but will permanently erase all data. Backup data is a must for this model.
5. Get Your iPhone Repaired
Sometimes the physical components of your iPhone (known as hardware) can stop working. If this happens, it is worth replacing or fixing your iPhone. Apple, or another company like a store, or your cellular provider if you have a warranty may be able to replace your iPhone if it is still under warranty. It is worth checking if all else fails.
Now to resolve this issue, you can simply follow the instructions provided above. The best way to get rid of this problem is to use a system recovery tool like AceThinker. It will not only provide a fix for your everyday problems but gives you many other options. You should now be able to use your iPhone without any problems if you have solved the iPhone freeze and won’t turn off the problem.