If you have a collection of DVDs, you may want to rip them into digital video files so that you can edit or play them with regular media players without having to rely on the discs without carrying around a DVD player around you. Aside from homemade DVDs, most DVD movies are protected by different kinds of copy protection. To rip protected DVD, what you need is a decent DVD ripper. There are protected DVD rippers that you can get in the market and it's a bit difficult to find which one is the best DVD ripper to use to rip protected DVDs. Here we will show you an effective tool you can use to convert copy protected DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MP3, and more.
Knowledge About Different DVD Copy Protection
As we all know, there are tons of methods that you can search on how to rip copy-protected DVDs. But before that, why ripping protected DVDs is important? most commercial discs are copy-protected, or some of them are encrypted by the publishers to make sure that the DVD can't be duplicated easily. To avoid this type of case, we provided you the most suitable ways or technologies to disable copy protection. In connection to this, using the right DVD ripper is one of the best ways to easily rip DVD protected videos, convert DVD movies that are stored on a hard drive, and CSS-encrypted DVD movies.
How Can a DVD be Protected?
There are three significant ways to protect a DVD, and here they are.
- Region Code: When you say region mode, it is referring to a DVD that is encoded with codes restricting the area wherein it could be played, aiming for controlling DVD release and its price. Besides, region 0 discs that are not under restriction are called all regions.
- Disney X-Project DRM Protection: From the name itself, it is a well-known DVD releaser, and that applies digital rights management for copyright protection. Also, it is commonly used by popular film publishers, including Disney, Paramount, and Warner. Aside from that, Disney supported AACS to protect Blu-ray discs and HD DVDs.
- CSS (Content Scrambling System): CSS refers to a digital rights management that is applied mostly on all commercial schemes released DVDs. It is perfect for preventing DVD videos from being illegally distributed, copied, and viewed. Furthermore, it became one of the various complementary systems designed to restrict DVD or Blu-rays video access.
For your information, you can find various DRM (Digital Rights Management) protections online, such as Operation Prohibition, RCE, Sony Arccos DVD protection, and more. You can choose one of them as one of your DVD protection. In that case, you can use a useful ripper to help you rip those DVDs with any one of the protections mentioned above. One of the best tools that we recommend you to use is the Acethinker Video Master Premium.
Rip Protected DVD with AceThinker Video Master Premium
If you are looking for the best yet simple ripper that you can use to rip protected DVD to MP4, Acethinker Video Master Premium is one of the great choices. It is one of the most popular software that works perfectly on various operating systems, like Windows and Mac. It can also be perfect for ripping DVD videos to the most used video formats such as MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, WMA, AAC, OGG, and many more. Furthermore, you can't only use this tool to rip videos, but also you can do editing, converting, video compressing, and GIF-making. Another amazing feature about this tool is that you can save your converted videos for up to 4K video quality. You can also enhance your videos by using its default editing functions like adding effects, subtitles, filters, and more. Aside from ripping, converting, and enhancing videos using Acethinker Video Master Premium, you can also use it to compress videos to help you save some space on your hard drive.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Save the Acethinker Video Master Premium on your PC
The first thing you can do to use this software is to download the tool's installer on your computer. Simply click one of the "Download" buttons provided above and read the given instructions to save the software on your pc completely. After that, launch the tool to get familiarized and access its main interface.
Step 2 Configure the settings
Next, set up the tool's settings by clicking the "triple-line" icon that you can see at the interface's upper right corner. Select "Preferences," and you can see all the settings of the tool. From here, you can select the "Ripper" option to check ripper settings. You can set-up the settings here according to your preferences. Click "Ok" to save changes.
Step 3 Insert Protected DVD
From here, you have to insert your protected DVD into your PC's DVD drive. Then, go back to the tool's main interface and select the "Ripper" option located at the interface's upper part. After that, hit the "Plus" sign icon at the bottom of the tool to import a video from the protected DVD.
Step 4 Rip DVD DRM
Once a file is added, you can hit the "Rip All to" drop-down menu that you can see at the interface's upper right corner to see all the available video file formats. These include MOV, MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, and more. From here, you can select your desired file format. After that, hit the "Rip All" button located at the lower right part of the tool to rip DVD DRM.
Step 5 Watch the converted video
Finally, check the ripped DVD from the output folder you have set. You can click the "Folder" icon at the bottom part of the tool to see all the ripped videos. An additional window will show up. From here, right-click the file name to watch the video.
- This software is lightweight, ultra-fast, and it supports useful tools that let you convert and edit videos as well audios virtually.
- It has a built-in video player wherein you can directly play videos from the tool without opening a separate one.
- It supports batch conversion wherein you can convert multiple videos without affecting the video's original quality.
- You can't convert several videos if you are in a basic plan.
FAQs about Ripping Protected DVD
1. Can VLC rip protected DVD?
Yes, you can rip and convert protected DVD to MP4 on VLC because this media player has its built-in converter wherein you can easily convert videos to several video file formats such as MP4, MKV, AVI, and more. To do it, simply install the VLC on your computer and hit the "Media" option at the upper right of the interface and select "open-disc" to import a video file that you want to rip. Then, click the "Convert" button to start the conversion.
2. Can Handbrake rip copy protected DVD?
Basically, Handbrake is open-source software that lets you import and convert videos to different computers and mobile devices. However, you need to download a separate tool called libdvdcss to use it for ripping protected DVDs on Handbrake. To start, download the Libdvdcss on your pc, then open the Handbrake and open the DVD source, select the output format that you prefer then click the “Start” button to start the ripping process.