Ripping a DVD content and turning it to a compatible format with the latest media players is very popular nowadays. Most of the ways people watch videos and movies these days are a bit more high-tech than before. There are lots of new stuff for content viewing. Alongside with the new media players, is a compatibility issue whenever your content came from. That’s why format converter and ripper tools became so handy nowadays, so you can watch anything you want. Handbrake is a well-know free open-source DVD ripper that can help you convert DVD to video. In this article, we will show you how to rip DVD with Handbrake in detail.
Step by Step Guide to Rip DVD with Handbrake
Handbrake is entirely free and multi-platform as it supports Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can provide up to 1080p resolution, perfect for movie enthusiasts. Here are the detailed steps on how to rip the DVD with HandBreak.
- Download and install HandBrake. After that, insert the DVD into your PC or Mac and launch the HandBrake. Click the DVD icon on the left side of the interface for DVD ripping.
- Select the settings for Handbrake DVD ripping. Second, you can set up your output setting, format, and video resolution. Then, click the “Browse” button beside the “File Destination” box. Set up a save location together with its file name.
- Start to rip DVD to video with Handbrake. Once everything is done, click the "Start Encode" green button to start the process, then wait for a few minutes. Your DVD is ripped for any media player.
- HandBrake app’s editing features like edit media files, video trimming, cropping, and more are not easy to use and so complicated.
- It doesn’t give an instant preview of the edited video, audio tracks and more, you need to wait before you can check it.
- It takes a long duration of time to finish a media encoding.
- It doesn’t support other video formats.
- The app doesn’t support or encode a copy-protected DVD movie. To rip it, you need to install disc description plugins like VLC as an assistant for decryption.
- It has an easy-to-use interface.
- Needs purchase to unlock other features
- Corrupted or Damaged DVD.
- Overloaded CPU can stop the DVD ripping.
- Some subtitles are not compatible with HandBrake.
- Some DVDs are copy-protected.
The Limitations of Handbrake DVD Ripping
Handbrake provides everything you need in regards to converting videos, DVDs, and Blu-ray. It also offers basic editing features and options. Moreover, the application is free and open to almost all platforms. Almost perfect, right? However, not everything is perfect, so as the application HandBrake. These are some of the limitations of the HandBrake app you should need to know.
HandBrake has still a lot of shortages when it comes to meet the perfect workflow of DVD ripping. That’s why there are lots of alternatives that can get the job done for you.
Best Handbrake Alternative to Rip DVD
Rip DVDs and convert videos hassle-free with Acethinker Video Master Premium. It promotes premium-quality resolution up to 4K. Furthermore, Acethinker Video Master Premium doesn’t end with the converter features. It also plays a part in a video editor with basic editing features such as Video enhancer and compressor, GIF maker, 3D maker, and metadata editor. Rip and edit videos within your reach with Acethinker Video Master Premium.
The application has a great list of key features that will make your ripping and converting task hassle-free with video content. Also, Video Master Premium offers many extra editing features like you can merge two or more videos. Split single video to many clips, add subtitles, watermarks, audios, and more features. Moreover, the best thing about this tool is that it provides lossless quality of videos and content with up to ten times faster conversion process. You are making it the same as the original copy. It also has a built-in DVD player, and you can also take screenshots while playing the videos.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Get the App
The first thing to do is download Acethinker Video Master Premium. Click the “Download” button above and follow the prompts to install the application entirely to your PC. Once it is ready, launch the app, and you should see an interface like this picture below.
Step 2 Insert your DVD
The main interface will give you three options. Convert Ripper, and Toolbox. In this scenario, we will choose Ripper. Click the “Inject” button as you insert the DVD to your PC to upload the DVD contents to be converted. You can also set the destination folder on the bottom-left corner of the interface.
Step 3 Start the rip process
Now that everything is set up, we can start the ripping from the uploading to the destination folder. Click the "rip all to" dropdown menu to choose the format you like. The destination folder will still show in this interface. Then, click the "Rip All" button on the app's bottom-right corner to start the ripping process.
Step 4 DVD is ripped
As you click the “Rip All” button and the process starts, you need to wait for a few minutes. The destination folder will pop automatically pop-up once the tool finished ripping the DVD content. Then, your ripped DVD content is ready along with the format you want, and you can play it anytime on your media player.
Step 5 Bulk conversion
If you want to convert or rip DVD contents faster, you have the option to do Multi-conversion as the app supports it. All you need to do is upload DVDs and ISO files on the app and do the same process. Now you’re a click away with your DVD converted media player formats.
FAQs About Using Handbrake to Rip DVD
Here are some of the Frequently asked questions coming from people to use and try to use HandBrake to rip DVDs.
1. Why can't HandBrake rip my DVD?
2. Is it legal to back up my DVDs?
Yes, if the copy is only for personal use, then there will be no problem. Storage purposes are the main reason for backing up DVDs.
3. Can you tell if the DVD has already been ripped?
No, there is no way to tell if the DVD has already been ripped or not. Ripping is just a drive reading the disc. However, researchers said that they invent a tool that can tell if the DVD is still original.