Launched by famous Nintendo, the Wii model is a gaming device (for home users) that is especially favored by gaming fans. The console packs some handy features and modes like remote control and connecting unit. Besides using it for video games, you may also use it to play DVDs as well. While it doesn't play the disc right away, there are some alternative ways to play DVD on Wii. To make it simpler, you can convert DVD to Nintendo Wii supported video formats and then play the video on Wii smoothly. Read the instructions below and enjoy your DVD movies on Wii.
Play DVD on Wii Using HBC (Homebrew Channel)
Even though official usage instructions don't support the playing of a DVD on Wii, you may use HomeBrew Channel to render the disk on this bright blue drive. This solution is invented by some Wii coders to enable users to unlock their console and play DVDs. If you want to go this route, you have to install the H.B. video player or Wii unlocker. Then copy the files into the S.D. card and then utilize the Channel to enable the 2-sec patch. Once this is activated, you have to enter the Wii Mplayer application from the Channel, enter the DVD and allow Wiff to play your DVD.
Even though this solution appears to be easy, you’ll have to meet specific requirements before following the actual connection steps:
- A Wii model with a 3.2 system mode
- An SD card reader and writer
- A FAT/FAT32 modified SD card up to 2GB (due to the fact that Wii is unable to read Secure Digital High Capacity cards)
- The Twilight Hack software which is an altered Zelda game that activates the HBC Installer)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (compatible with Wii)
- Homebrew Channel Installation programme
- A media player (MPlayer) which supports the playing of market DVDs
- A DVDX application which lets Wii read the hosted DVD
How to play DVD on a Wii/Wii U using HBC step-by-step:
There are two key steps to success--setting up HBC and then the actual DVD player. Here is how:
Step 1 Set-up the HBC channel.
- Enter the S.D. card into the reader's slot and right-click to copy the "private" section of the Twilight Hack (in your card). Here you also have to copy the HBC to "boot.dol" system file.
- Next, add the S.D. card into the console and erase the stored Zelda file using the "Wii file Manager." In case you don't have the game in advance, you may initiate a new one.
- There are two Zelda versions currently--the "RVL-RZDE-0A-0" and the second, which is "RVL-RZDE-0A-2". Both of these functions function fine, you have to ensure that you are using the appropriate hacking for each version. In the case of the -0 version, TwilightHack0 will work while for the second -2 version, the respective hack would be TwilightHack2, which are both featured in the pack.
- Head to the file manager area and then change the S.D. view. Then copy the right hack version.
- Finally, place the Zelda game disk, begin playing the game and then save this file. Once the HBC installer initiates, you can play your desired DVDs.
Once the process is done, you may access the Homebrew channel similar to any other Wii software.
Step 2 Activate the DVD Playback app
- Once the Homebrew Channel is set-up successfully, you'll need to install a third DVD player app which will let you play your DVDs on Wii.
- Look for a space that is safe and somewhere where you can set-up and copy the third-party DVD player application on your S.D. card.
- Introduce the S.D. card in the device and switch the HomeBrew channel. You will then be allowed to access two programs that are found on the card. The next step would be to play a DVD-X installer. Choose the option "Normal installation" to ensure the flawless playing of the program with no problems.
Step 3 How to run DVD on Wii
- Head to Home Brew Channel and choose Media player (MPlayer)
- Choose “DVD-Video” and then select the Title.
- Lastly, play your chosen disk.
Even though the HBC converts your video game device into a DVD player, the process has some drawbacks. Firstly, the Mplayer program comes with plenty of problems and bugs that will not allow you to enjoy all your movie disks right away. But the biggest risk is that if any step turns sour in the process, the console may get ruined.
How to Watch DVD Movies on Wii without Homebrew
To play DVD on Wii, you have to rip the video first and save it to your Wii. You can use the AceThinker Video Master Premium because it can rip DVDs and turn them into MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV, and more. Another good thing about this tool is it can combine many videos and make it into one file. Aside from video format, in case you want to extract the audio from a DVD video, you can also convert it to audio format like MP3, 3GP, WMA, AAC, and more. To know how to use this tool, you can check the steps below.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Download and set-up the Video Master Premium
First, get the installer by clicking one of the “Download” buttons above. Then, follow the steps for installing this tool to your computer once you launch its installer. After installing, open the app and insert the DVD to your DVD drive. Afterward, click the “Insert DVD” to add the DVD to the Video Master Premium.
Step 2 Choose compatible format for Wii
Before you start ripping the DVD, choose your preferred format by clicking the "Rip All to" list button at the upper right part of the tool. From the list, go to the “Device” section, select "Games" on the left of the list, and choose “Wii” to get the format compatible for Wii.
Step 3 Begin ripping DVD
After choosing the format, you can change the output folder by referring to the “Save to” drop-down button at the lower part of the tool. Once ready, click the “Rip All” button at the lower rightmost part of the app to start ripping the DVD.
Step 4 Copy the file to Wii
Once done, the ripped DVD will be saved on your computer’s hard drive automatically. You can find it in the default format you’ve set. Connect your Wii to your PC by using the Wifi USB connector and turn on your Wii for your computer to detect it. After that, copy the ripped DVD video to Wii so you can watch it afterward.
FAQs About Playing DVD on Nintendo Wii
The Wii is a one of a kind gaming console created by Wii. No doubt that it does provide several unique features right now. However, there are still some limitations. So at this time, we will answer some of the frequently asked questions of playing DVDs using Wii.
1. Why are other discs not playing on Wii?
In most instances, the DVD disc will not play if it is dirty, has scratches on it, or damaged. Hope it is not broken entirely as it will not play even on any devices. The immediate solution is to wipe the DVD clean using a cloth. Make sure to clean the laser lens part thoroughly.
2. Can it play Netflix videos?
Yes, it can! First, connect you Wii on a Wifi then log-in your Netflix account on the Wii console. Next, open the "Wii Shop Channel" then install "Netflix Instant Streaming for Wii." Once installed, you can now browser Netflix and watch your favorite series or movies.
3. Can it play a DVD without an SD card?
You don't really need it since the file on DVD is enough to play it there. You only need to connect the "Homebrew Channel" to your internet connection to play DVD files.
4. Can it play Blu-ray disc?
Unfortunately not. It cannot read the Blu-ray disc on its console. But if you really need it to access the file on Wii. You can rip it first using AceThinker Video Master Premium and transfer the converted file on Wii to play it.