Microsoft doesn't feature a Windows Media Center on MS Windows 10 version, which means that Windows 10 doesn't have a DVD playing feature by default, and this a problem for some folks who don't want to lose this feature. The need for playing DVDs is still present. Microsoft advises the installation of a Windows DVD player at 10 OS, at the fair cost of $15. However, many users report that the paid DVD player fails to decode DVD contents in some instances and problems like screen indicating "DVD drive won't read the disc" noise, interrupted playback, or local error pop-ups e.g., emerge when loading a UK DVD. Fortunately, there are many free DVD players for Windows 10 that let you play and watch DVD in Windows 10 without any cost smoothly. Check below.
5KPlayer is a broadly recognized free multimedia player that can read and play DVDs on Windows 10 OS (32-64 bit) as well as its predecessors such as 8, 8.1, and 7. Since its official launch, it was quickly embraced by users across the globe. The program remains a staple feature in Softtonic's lits of top 10 media program downloads. With the use of 5K players, users of Windows 10 can play any usual DVDs as well as copyright-protected and regionally restricted by code DVD files as well as ISO files with a click of a button and, most importantly, without any DVD codec having to be downloaded on Windows 10. 5KPlayer sports is an upgraded design that lets users easily familiarize themselves with their actions, features, and functional skills quickly.
- Supports all common DVD formats such as MP3, MP4, MOV, AVI, FLAC, MKV, WMV, WMA, and AAC
- Capability to download movie clips, video and music tracks from Youtube and thousands of other media platforms for free
- Ability to load videos on iOS e.g iPhone, tablet, iPad
- Easy conversion of videos to MP4, MP3, and AAC with no extra charge
- This about a program that can play regionally locked or code-encrypted DVDs for free without any external help from a third-party application
GOM Player is an established media player, and there is a solid reason why. The features and skills this Windows 10 DVD player provides for free are top-notch, and they have been like that for ten years. The program is capable of playing all popular video or sound files such as MP4, DVD, MKV, CD, MOV, AVI, WMV, etc. The thing that makes GOM player differ from the rest is its connection with OpenSubtitles.org and its rick library, which is very handy when you are looking up for a subtitle via the web. Despite being a quite versatile and useful program, GOM Player's inclusion of annoying ads on the background makes this score 3rd in our list.
- High-quality 360-degree Virtual Reality Playback
- A broad array of integrated codecs such as FLAC, Vorbis, XVID, MP42, H263, etc.
- Playing of damaged video files capability
- Rich subtitle collection
Without any hesitation, VLC Media Player is the most recognized of the present open source free Windows 10 DVD players. It works finely with a broad array of Windows OS and comes with basic support of Windows 10 already. As a robust playing program, this can freely play DVD discs, folders, and ISO files. You may order the program to play DVDs by default once you add a DVD by selecting the "Play DVD movie….player" choice. However, there are some possible bugs or playback issues reported by Windows 10-8-7 users in online forums.
- Playing video audios in common file formats on other OS e.g Mac or Linux
- The capability of playing VCD, CD or SVCD
- Ability to initiate media format conversion and playing
Blaze DVD Free version may not look familiar for many of us. Still, considering its name, we can tell that this is a free DVD playing application. Based on the brief on its main website, BlazeDVD Free can steam both DVDs and famous videos. It is aimed at Windows 8 users and also works with Windows 10. It also claims to provide life-lasting free steaming services for steaming DVD discs, folders, and ISO files. The problem is that BLazeDVD can only play DVDs that belong to the areas 1-6 without having to covert the area code.
- Stream CD, VCD or SVCD.
- Stream all common video content formats like MP4, AVI, MPEG, VOB, WMV, RMVB or DTS
- Intuitively adjust the aspect ratio at 16:9
Meanwhile, BlazeDVD will be a good region-free DVD player for Windows 10.
- If you need an all-purpose tool, DVD player, video player, radio player, even video to audio converter, the 5KPlayer is your best bet
- At the same time, BlazeDVD is a great area-free DVD playing program for Windows
MPC-HC, which stands for Media Player Classic Home Cinema, is a handy solution to the "Windows Player won't play my DVD" problem as it allows the user to stream DVD with drop-down menus, chapter browsing and subtitles. This free DVD player app for Windows 10 is also great for streaming traditional VHS films and BD discs. It supports the playback of several formats by default with an integrated video decoding tool for improved playback quality. Sadly, MPC-HC 1.7.13 is the last and final edition, and it hasn't been upgraded ever since July of 2017. However, you may still be able to download the free DVD player version on your Windows 10 OS.
- It’s free of charge and doesn’t occupy much storage space and works for Windows or former versions
- It is compatible with a broad array of common media formats such as MP4, AVI, WMV, VOB, SWF, QT, MOV, and MPEG together with a GPU decoder
If you are really concerned about the quality of your DVD playback on Windows 10, give PowerDVD a try. This a solid player with many handy upgraded features. For instance, besides playing BD or DVD discs on Windows 10, it also works with MKV, H.264, 4K, 3D, and Virtual Reality 360-degree content, Vimeo, Youtube, and other media platforms and formats. It also upgraded to Ultra HD 4K and recently 8K together with audio support in Dolby and DTS so we can stream audios and videos in the best quality. However, all these come with a high cost of $59.99, which isn't something that everyone wants to pay.
- Real full screen for BD playbacks
- TrueTheater High-Dynamic Range (HDR) as well as GPU compatibility for streaming HDR videos
- Ability to adapt to different are codes--become area-free