"Digital Versatile Disc” or DVD is one of the famous names in the multimedia industry. DVD is a type of media used as a storage for digital data. It is known for video content we watch like movies, concerts, games, and more. On the other hand, MP4, a younger version of DVD, was invented in late 2001. It is a file format that is storage for audio and video content like DVD, and this MP4 is much more high-tech than a DVD. For this cause, sometimes it's essential to convert DVD to MP4 for convenient playback. It saves you more physical storage, makes you not worry about compatibility issues with your media players, and more reasons that make your life easier. Today we will tackle the ways and the tools that you can use to rip DVD to mp4.
Convert DVD to MP4 with the Best DVD to MP4 Converter
Distinctive Feature: The software has a file converter feature that supports almost all formats you can imagine, such as VOB, MP4 MKV AVI, MPEG MP3, and a lot more.
Extract DVD to MP4 easily with Acethinker Video Master Premium. It is a DVD ripper that supports almost all formats, including MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, MPEG, MTS, etc. Furthermore, Acethinker Video Master Premium serves as a video editor. It has basic video editing features like GIF maker, video compressor and enhancer, metadata editor, and 3D maker. The application gives you everything you need from DVD ripping up until your video editing. Here's a step by step procedure on how to turn DVD into MP4.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Download the Video Master Premium Installer
The first thing we need to do is to get the installer of the application. Click the "Download" button above and follow the installation prompts to install it entirely on your PC. Once finished, launch the app, and you should see an interface like this picture below.
Step 2 Upload Your DVD
As you can see from the main interface, it will give you three options. Convert, Ripper, Toolbox. Choose Ripper since we are going to rip DVD to MP4 files. Upload the DVD content by clicking the "inject" button on the interface center as you insert your DVD.
Step 3 Start ripping your DVD
Once everything is all set, the DVD is inserted, and everything is uploaded. You need to click the "rip all to" drop-down menu on the top right part of the tool to choose the format you want. Here it's MP4. Also, the destination folder is on the bottom left part of the interface. Then click the "Rip All" button to start the process.
Step 4 MP4 file is ready
You have to wait for a few moments as the tool rips the DVD content to MP4. Once the process is finished, the MP4 file will pop up on the destination folder you set up earlier. Then, your MP4 file is ready, and you can play it anytime!
- It supports bulk DVD ripping.
- Need to purchase the software for full features access.
Rip DVD to MP4 for Free with VLC Media Player
Distinctive Feature: VLC Media Player enables you to customize your VLC experience with the access of adding skins in its interface. This feature is called VLC Skin Editor.
Another way to convert DVD files to MP4 is with the aid of the VLC Media Player. As it indicates in its name, "Media Player." VLC is intended as a player for your movie or videos with different formats. But VLC doesn't end there. It also functions as a useful DVD ripper going to such formats as MP4. AVI, MOV MTS, and more. Here's how it works:
- Install and open the VLC media player app. Then go to the Media menu for Convert or Save.
- Click the Disc tab and check the DVD option and import the DVD source to VLC. You can set the title. Then click the Convert/ Save button.
- Then the Convert window will pop up. Set the profile to MP4. You also have options to adjust the bit rate, resolution, codec, and subtitles.
- Setup the destination folder, lastly, click the Start button to convert the VLC rip DVD to MP4.
- It has great sound quality with videos.
- It doesn't support bulk conversion.
Convert DVD Files to MP4 on Mac Using Handbrake
Distinctive Feature: HandBreak supports super High-Quality resolution up to HQ 1080p and doesn't change the conversion speed.
One of the recommended DVD rippers you can use is HandBreak. A free and multi-platform that supports Windows, Mac, and Linux. Moreover, the app supports a considerable group of formats like AVI, WMV, DVD, MP4, etc. Furthermore, it lets you be creative with the additional features it has, like setting presets, applying effects, cropping videos, and many more functions. Handbrake app is a handy tool you can use to convert DVD video to mp4.
- Setup and Install HandBrake App. Then, insert the DVD into your Mac and open HandBreak.
- Click the DVD icon. It's the circular disc option on the window's left side, just below the File tab. Next, change the conversion settings. The file format - MP4 and the file resolution.
- After that, click Browse. It's to the right of the "File Destination" box. A pop-up window will appear.
- Select a save location, then enter a filename and click Save, it's at the bottom of the window. Click Start Encode. It's a green button at the top of the HandBrake window. Then after the process, the MP4 file will be on the destination folder you set up earlier.
- It produce original quality videos.
- It has a complex interface. Not for beginners.
Extract DVD to MP4 in Linux with FFmpeg
Distinctive Feature: FFMpeg is a lightweight tool for broadcast live stream production and other video tasks. The device can work re-stream from multiple servers.
FFMpeg is an open-source command line DVD ripper compatible with Linux, Windows, Solaris, and Mac. FFmpeg, like VLC, is originally a media player that can rip DVD contents to such formats as MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, and more. Also, one thing that makes the FFmpeg included with the list of best DVD rippers is that it is freeware, yet it provides the same functions as those paid. Here are the steps on how to use FFmpeg to rip DVD to MP4 in Linux.
- Install FFmpeg in Linux. Then copy contents of your DVD to local folder and cd into that folder(eg: video_ts).
- After that, enter the command below to start ripping process in optimum quality.
- If you want enable deinterlace option, use the command below.
- Use below command to reduce size and quality of output file, Here the '-crf' option sets the quality of the ripped file. The range of the CRF scale is 0–51, where 0 is lossless, 23 is the default, and 51 is the worst quality possible.
- The command above will read the video files in a folder. after the process of the command, you can see the ripped file name as rip.mp4
cat VTS_0*_*VOB | ffmpeg -i - -vcodec h264 -acodec mp2 rip.mp4
cat VTS_0*_*VOB | ffmpeg -i - -vf yadif -vcodec h264 -acodec mp2 rip.mp4
cat VTS_0*_*VOB | ffmpeg -i - -c:v libx264 -crf 23 rip.mp4
- Quick process for DVD ripping.
- Sometimes lag with Windows
FAQs About DVD to MP4 Conversion
Is it legal to convert a DVD to MP4?
In regards to copyright works, the answer is DVD ripping is illegal in most cases. But if you do it for personal use and don't sell it or distribute it, authorities will not like to know or catch their attention. However, to make sure, before ripping, you can check local laws in your region about this.
Will the DVD be ruined after ripping?
The process of ripping a DVD is like a process of playing it. Therefore, the DVD will not be ruined in the process.
Does DVD ripping take much time?
The time that will be consumed with the process really depends on the DVD content's size and how much bitrate you want on the file.
What is the size of a Ripped DVD?
The Ripped DVD size will be more likely smaller than the original size of the DVD video. It will still depend on the original file size.
How to rip DVDs to MP4 with my Mac?
Go back to part 3 of the article to see a full guide to rip DVD to MP4 on Mac with the HandBrake app.
Conclusion and Comparison Chart
These are the best tool reviewed for you to choose the tool that will fit your needs. All of them are great software to rip DVD to MP4. It is up to you now. Please comment below if you have suggestions.
|Video Master Premium||VLC Media Player||HandBreak||FFmpeg|