Screen recorders usually capture software tutorials and gameplay walkthroughs. In case you're not familiar yet, screencasting tools let you record your computer's screen activity and save it as a video file. One of the well-known tools to do that is Screencastify. It is a Chrome add-on that records the screen for up to five minutes, each process. Another great deal for Screencastify is that the recordings don't have any watermarks, even though you can use them for free. However, the catch is Screencastify is only exclusive to Chrome. So if you hate using the said browser or don't have it installed on your computer, it's best to find a different tool. Luckily, we already collected the best Screencastify alternatives. We also make sure that the solutions are available on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
Best 5 Screencastify Alternatives to Record Video
1. AceThinker Free Screen Recorder Online
AceThinker Free Screen Recorder Online is one of the top alternatives to Screencastify. Why? The tool can capture your screen alongside its audio simultaneously without any time limit. More so, it records your screen while retaining the original quality for the best viewing experience. Another essential function of Free Screen Recorder Online is it can save the recorded video to several formats. It includes MP4, AVI, MOV, etc., which is important to ensure that the video will play on any device. Finally, you can set-up hotkeys to initiate the recording for faster access.
- The tool has a built-in annotation tool that lets you draw objects, insert texts, and add color to the recording in real-time.
- It lets you save and export the recorded video to other platforms such as YouTube, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- Free Screen Recorder Online lacks other editing tools like video trimming, cropping, and others.
Another online tool that you can consider as an alternative to Screencastify is the Screencast-o-Matic. Like Screencastify, it has a recording time limit per session, but Screencastify has a longer length limit which is up to 15 minutes. Aside from computers, the tool is also accessible to other devices like smartphones and tablets. Furthermore, it lets you add captions or subtitles into the recording. Additionally, the tool allows you to import and upload background music in the recording. Regards to that, it has some built-in audio background that you can choose and use for free.
- The tool can record your computer's screen and a webcam overlay window simultaneously.
- If you avail of its premium version, you can access its full-range of editing functions like inserting annotations, zoom in and out, create transitions, etc.
- Screencast-o-Matic could not record the system audio if you're not on its premium version.
3. Nimbus Screen Video Recorder
Nimbus Screen Video Recorder is also a browser add-on like Screencastify. It is one of the popular Screencastify alternatives free with over one million users. The tool provides multiple recording modes, which include capturing the activity of an active window program. Also, it lets you customize the screen resolution and frame rate depending on the recording size you prefer. Additionally, the tool lets you add a watermark to the recorded video if you want to personalize it. Lastly, it also offers some essential video editing services like trimming and cropping the recorded file.
- Nimbus Screen Video Recorder claims that it can record your screen for up to 4K quality.
- The tool has a screenshot function that also lets you edit the image before saving it.
- Most of its unique functions (video editing, conversion, export, etc.) are only accessible once you subscribed to its premium version.
4. Fluvid Screen Video Recorder
Fluvid Screen Video Recorder is an all-in-one screen recording tool like Screencastify. It is also a browser extension that lets you share the recorded video to other platforms including YouTube. Additionally, it can include the webcam overlay window into the recording. This is necessary in case you are recording a tutorial or gameplay for added interaction. Moreover, the recorded screen video is saved automatically in MP4 format to be played on several devices. One of its recording modes is to capture the current browser tab or window.
- Fluvid has a live streaming platform that lets you cast your recording to it in real-time.
- The extension only uses a small percentage of your CPU performance, making sure you won't experience any delay while recording.
- Important functions like checking the recording timer are not available on its free version.
5. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is one of the best programs like Screencastify. It is popular among streamers since it is perfect for broadcasting your recordings such as gameplays, vlogs, etc. OBS Studio is an open-source screen recorder available for most platforms. Also, it can detect several apps or windows open, and you can switch the recording of each app smoothly. Furthermore, it has an audio mixer that can filter noise suppression, noise gate, and others. Moreover, it has an intuitive preview window called "Studio Mode." Here, it lets you adjust the scenes before you livestream the recording in case.
- The tool can access several "screens" that let you view all of them in one window to monitor the recording.
- OBS Studio supports 4K video recording.
- The tool is not friendly for beginners as it has too many buttons and sections which might be confusing for them.
Comparison of Screencastify Alternatives
|Features||Free Screen Recorder Online||Screencast-O-Matic||Nimbus||Fluvid||OBS Studio|
|Platform||Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.||Chrome only||Chrome and Firefox||Chrome only||Windows, Mac, and Linux||Recording Quality||up to 1080p||up to 1080p||up to 4K||up to 720||up to 4K||Premium Version||None||Yes||Yes||Yes||None||File Size||N/A||73.2 MB||49.95 MB||4.59 MB||247 MB|