One of the best leisure activities most people do is let themselves enjoy the comfort of their couch and sip a hot cup of tea while watching shows on TV. However, seeing that the world is getting faster in its phase, watching television programs gets behind our schedules. Besides that, it is almost impossible to play back the program using the TV since networks follow a structured flow. Moreover, the programs are aired on a fixed schedule. Luckily, brush those worries thanks to the help of screencasting programs. These tools can record your screen in any show at a high quality. If you want to learn how to record TV shows on laptop, feel free to read this walkthrough of 5 working ways to fix your problem.
5 Ways How to Record TV Screen to Computer
Compatible Platform: Windows and Mac
Output Formats: Supports more than 1000+ output formats like MOV, FLV, MP4, AVI, etc.
Screen Grabber Premium is your best option if you want to capture TV screen on a PC with the highest quality possible. It lets you select your preset output scale resolution from 854x480 up to 1920x1080. That way, you would not mind re-watching your all-time favorite shows on a blurry scale. This program can also facilitate recording up to 60 frame rates per second, making your file smooth and not eye-straining motions. Aside from this incredible catch, Screen Grabber Premium offers an annotation toolkit. You can create highlights, put text, and call-outs, and draw shapes to your screen. Lastly, managing the program becomes more convenient since you can use hotkeys for stopping or recording your TV program. You can follow the complete guide below to learn more about recording any of your favorite shows.
Step 1 Locate and Install the Program
To begin, click the appropriate installer on your device above. Make sure you select the Download button according to your operating system. After that, double-click the program, wait for the dialog box to appear, and follow the installation process.
Step 2 Select the Screen Dimension
From the main interface, hit the "Video Recorder" button and proceed to select your mode on the TV screen recording. Choose the "Full" button to grab the whole screen. By selecting the "Custom" mode, you can decide which screen area, tab, or window the recording will be. Also, turn the slider on for the System Sound for you to record the audio of the TV program.
Step 3 Connect TV Cable to PC
Next, connect your PC and television using an HDMI cable. Make sure that both of the devices have HDMI ports in them. After that, watch your favorite TV show when the device has successfully read the television. Then, hit the “REC’ button on the Screen grabber Premium, and the recording will start.
Step 4 Save the Recorded Show from TV
Once the TV show ends, hit the "Stop" button to save the file on your computer. Alternatively, you can press the command key Ctrl+Alt+S on your keyboard. When a new window appears, change the file name of your output and its destination path. Then, click the "Next" button and wait for the export process to complete.
Step 5 View the Recorded Output
Finally, you should see your recorded TV show on the top list of the program's history panel. If you want to watch your file immediately, hit the "play" button along with the file name. Moreover, you can upload the TV show online by hitting the "Share" button. If you want to record another TV show, hit the "record more" button.
- Capture screenshots while recording and save them to image formats like PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, etc.
- Customize your hotkeys or command controls for a more convenient recording experience.
- It can record a webcam overlay to create a picture-in-picture effect.
Compatible Platform: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
Output Formats: MP4
PowerPoint Presentation is just one of the best methods of recording your TV screen. Developed by Microsoft Team, its initial release was in 1987, and it has been one of the promising digital slide makers ever since. Surprisingly, users can now record TV on computer through the PowerPoint Presentation. It is a native program on windows devices and accessible to download on the app store. However, because of its minimal recording features, premium screen grabbers are still an advantage. Such features you may need are annotation, web camera, and microphone recording ability. Still, PowerPoint plays the game reasonably as it can act as a screen recorder no time limit. Read beneath to find out how to record your TV screen with a laptop free through PowerPoint.
- First, launch the PowerPoint Presentation software. From the welcome screen of the interface, select the "Blank Presentation" menu and then click the Insert tab.
- Once you access the ribbon under the Insert tab, select the "Screen Recording" button, which you will see at the top left side of the interface. Then, connect your TV to your laptop using an HDMI cable and wait for it to appear on the laptop screen.
- Finally, navigate the screen recording interface of the software. Tap the "Select Area" and drag the screen dimension using your mouse. Moreover, tick the "Audio" button and hit "Record" to start. When your TV program ends, hit the "Stop" button, and the file will directly show on the PowerPoint slide panel.
3. Capture Card
Compatible Platform: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
Output Formats: MP4
If you are a full-pledged gamer, you have probably heard about capture cards. Typically, this external device is best for recording and streaming gaming consoles like Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and PS4. Luckily, this hardware is also helpful when creating footage from TV shows at 60fps with 1080P resolution. While capture cards come in the most expensive and cheaper ones, any of what you own will get the job done. On the other hand, you need to install software like OBS if you want to stream TV shows online while recording. To learn how to record TV shows on laptop using a capture card, refer to the guide below.
- Begin to plug in the USB end of the capture card to your computer port. Then, get your HDMI cable and connect one end to the device and the other to your TV. See to it that your TV has an HDMI port, or you will not be able to record the aired program.
- Next, open the OBS studio and hit the Plus icon on the interface. Then, select the "Video Capture Device" and hit "OK." Then you should see the TV program screencasts on the OBS studio while recording. Finally, hit the "Record" button to start capturing your TV show. When done, hit the "Stop" icon to save.
4. Xbox DVR
Compatible Platform: Windows OS
Output Formats: MP4
Suppose you do not want to use a TV tuner illustrated in the previous method. In that case, the following guide is suitable for Windows 10 users. Fortunately, with the newer version of Windows, it is now easy to record TV programs using a digital video recorder like the Xbox DVR. This program is a built-in program that can capture your computer screen in a whole or selected area. It can also record the audio sound from the computer system or a microphone. Besides, Xbox DVR lets you share your recorded output to different video hosting sites like Twitch, YouTube, Vidyard, and more. To familiarize yourself with how to record tv on pc without TV tuner with the following process right here.
- To start, connect your TV to your laptop using the HDMI cable. Alternatively, you can use the VGA (D-Sub) cable if you do not have the HDMI.
- For more convenient access to the Xbox DVR, press the Windows key + G on your keyboard. Then a floating widget will appear on your screen and select the "Capture" button.
- Next, press Windows+Alt+R on your keyboard to start the recording. After the recording, the Xbox program will show a new window where you can check your TV recordings.
5. HD PVR
Compatible Platform: Windows, Mac, and Linux
Output Formats: MP4, TS, and M2TS
Do you want to know how to record tv screen with laptop, yet the methods above do not suit you well? If DVR and a capture card are unavailable around your place, you can use an HD PVR. Stands for High Definition Personal Video Recorder, HD PVR is an external device that lets you record TV shows at 1080p resolution. What is more, the output format of the recorded files is ready to go for DVD burning. It may have similarities with a capture card, as they say. However, this box-shaped device does not require you to use another software to save the recording. Other devices that HD PVR can support aside from TV are the PS3, Xbox 360, and more. Below this section is a walkthrough of how to record your TV screen with a laptop free using HD PVR.
- Insert your component cables on the HD PVR and your TV. If you have an HDMI, it's better to use it to avoid multiple cables hanging in your area.
- Next, get your USB 2.0 cable and connect your laptop to the TV recording device. Install the HD PVR software on your computer to access the display on the TV. Once done, select your output setting according to your needs. For higher compatibility on mobile devices and computers, use MP4. Lastly, hit the "Capture" button, and the recording will commence.
|Screen Grabber Premium||Streaming virtual gameplays, recording TV shows, and creating video presentations||It includes a task scheduler.||Premmium plan costs $29.95 yearly with 24/7 support and upgrade.|
|Powerpoint Presentation||Simple screen recordings like videos||You can create slide presentations.||Free|
|Video Capture Card||Streaming and recording games simultaneously||High-quality output.||It costs from $250 to $400 depending on the device’s brand.|
|Xbox DVR||Recording gameplays||You can insert microphone.||Free|
|HD PVR||Recording game plays and TV shows||You do not need to install other screen recorders.||It costs $200 - $600, depending on the model and quality.|
To record live TV on PC is not drastically challenging the first time you think about it. By using the appropriate tools like software or hardware, capturing your favorite TV show is ultimately achievable. While all these methods work, premium screen grabbers are the most convenient. Keep in mind that some things you can consider are the features like recording without a time limit, the output resolution, and support for system sound recording. Plus, screencasting software can record screen and webcam simultaneously and effortlessly.