Have you been struggling to take down notes during your online schooling or business transactions? Well, there's nothing new about that, especially today that many offices are opting to do their commitments online. Also, some sessions like webinars, gameplay, and business demos are only available in real-time, strictly no replays. Good thing, there are screen recording apps available now. But another problem is that some of these apps capture the full screen, which can be a problem for our privacies, particularly if you're to share your videos. Thankfully, some programs let you record part of screen and protect other viewers from accidentally viewing your contents.
Best Tool to Record Part of Screen on Windows/Mac
AceThinker Screen Grabber Premium is a software powered by Acethinker when it comes to video screen recording. Its user-friendly interface makes it on the top list of the best screen recording platforms online. Its primary function is to record your on-screen activities efficiently. Also, this online screen recorder helps you keep your files away from the eyes of other people. It saves your time removing unnecessary recorded parts of the screen as it can record a portion of the screen. Plus, it has annotation tools, whereas you can put notes or shapes on your output. Here are the necessary steps on how to enjoy its unique features, particularly on how to record a portion of your screen.
Step 1 Download and Launch the Screen Grabber Premium
Download Screen Grabber Premium from the download button below depends on your operating system. You can use this app to record part of screen Windows 10 or record part of screen Mac. Next, proceed on following the installation and launching process of the app.
Try it for Free
Step 2 Customize Your Settings
Set your preferred recording settings before you start your record. Click on the "Video Recorder" button first. After that, select the source of your audio. Slide on the sliding button beside "System Sound" so your audio will be from your computer's sounds. Meanwhile, you can also record your screen using your mic by sliding "on" the button beside "Microphone."
Step 3 Select to Record Specific Part of Screen
After setting up the app, it's time to select a portion of your screen to record. On the first icon, you will see the "Full" and "Custom" button. From here, click on the "Custom" button. After that, you can choose between Fixed Region or Select Region/Window.
Step 4 Start Recording
Once you completed all the necessary setups, click on the "Rec" button. In one to three seconds, your record will start accordingly. Next, after the recording, click on the "Stop" button on the floating bar.
Step 5 Save and Play Your Recording
Finally, when you are done tapping on the "Stop" button, a preview window will appear. From here, you can trim your clip to remove unnecessary videos. After that, click on the "Save" button to save your output on your device.
- A free trial lets you use its basic recording features.
- It has a Task Scheduler function for your regular online recordings.
- Needs to purchased premium account to access all its features.
How to Capture Portion of Screen with OBS
Another screen recorder you can use to track your on-screen activities is this Open Broadcast Software or OBS Studio. Also, OBS can record part of the screen recording for Windows, Mac, and Linux users. This app is best for recording in-game videos, making it the most used screen recorder for gamers who want to do live streaming. You can also input videos or images on your stream. Hereto are the quick guides in using OBS Studio to capture part of screen.
- If you're a new user, you will see an auto-configuration wizard that lets you start your recording. After that, proceed in following the installation and launching procedure. Download the app by clicking this link, OBS Studio.
- Although the audio source is set by default, you can still modify it by clicking the "File" button at the apps interface's top-left corner. Next click, "Settings" and go to the "Audio" tab to change your sound source.
- You may be surprised by a black preview window when you're about to start your recording. This is because you still have to choose your video source. By adding one, look for the "Sources" tab at the bottom part of the app's window. Then, click the "+" sign to expand the list of the video sources applicable. For games, click "Game Capture." While if you're about to capture a particular window, click "Window Capture." And to record your real-time activity, you can select "Display capture."
- To start OBS capture part of the screen, click the "Start Recording" button at the app's right-bottom corner. And only click, "Stop Recording" button to save your output.
- It enables you to record multiple screens and stream them as one.
- It has a built-in audio mixing tool.
- If you are a Mac user, you can't use its system sound as your recording's audio source
How to Record Part of Screen on Mac with QuickTime
Quicktime lets you record part of screen or full screen, which is mainly developed by Apple. This multimedia player is best in previewing a range of picture, video, audio, and panoramic image formats for Mac users. Before this tool was compatible with Windows OS, unfortunately, due to security reasons, they ceased supporting the said operating system. Meanwhile, this software is a preinstalled app for Mac computers. Moreover, this tool enables you to convert video formats to other more digital formats, like AVI, MP3, MP4, and its file type, QTFF. Interestingly, it has an additional feature, which ables you to record your screens. With that, here are the quick steps on how to use this fantastic feature.
- Since this is a preinstalled app, all you need to do is to open the app. After that, click the "File" button, and from the list that appears, select "New Screen Recording."
- Once you tap the "New Screen Recording" option, a floating bar will appear. Then, click on the drop-down button beside the "Record" button to source your audio.
- Visit the app you want to record. For full screen, you have to expand your presentation to full screen. Meanwhile, to record a particular part of your screen, drag the sides of your records. Then, click on the "Record" button. Once you finish recording, click the "Stop" button.
- You can directly edit your output using this app.
- You can export your output to your desired video formats, like MPEG4 and MOV.
- It doesn't have built-in annotation tools.
Comparison of Part Screen Recorders
|Screen Grabber Premium||OBS Studio||QuickTime|
|Video Length||3 minutes for Free Trial||No recording limit||No recording limit|
|Supported Video Formats||WMV, MP4, AVI, F4V, MOV, GIF||MP4, F4V, MOV, MKV, TS, M308||AVI, DV, Motion JPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-4|
|Premium Account||Available at $42.95/year||None. You can access everything for free.||Not available because it’s a preinstalled app for Mac computers.|