Screen recording or screencast is the way of capturing the activity happening on your computer's screen. It is essential, especially nowadays, since businesses, classes, meetings, and others are mostly conducted online. Here, you can review them and play anytime without the need to take down notes. Aside from that, you can create video tutorials, record gameplays, and others. Another good thing about it is that you can live to stream your screen activity in real-time. You can also use screen recording as an alternative for video downloading, which the latter requires a more stable and faster internet connection. Luckily, there are a lot of screen recorders available for all platforms that can finish the job. To help you identify which is the most suitable for your device. Let's check the best open source screen recorder for computers and smartphones.
The Best Open Source Screen Recorder for All Platforms
|Product||Supported OS||Area Selection||Editing||Output Format|
|OBS Studio||Windows, Mac, and Linux||No||No||FLV, MKV, MP4, etc.|
|ShareX||Windows||No||No||AVI, MP4, GIF|
|Freeseer||Windows, Mac, and Linux||Yes||No||OGG|
|Kap||Mac||No||No||GIF, MP4, WebM, or APNG|
|SimpleScreenRecorder||Linux||Yes||No||MP4, OGG, Matroska, or WebM|
|Screen Grabber Premium||Windows and Mac||Yes||Yes||MP4, AVI, MOV, etc.|
1. OBS Studio
One of the most famous open-source screen recording software is OBS Studio. It stands for Open Broadcaster Software that is equipped with essential solutions for screen recording and streaming it simultaneously. OBS Studio is connected directly to Twitch, which lets you record your gameplay like DotA2, LoL, CSGO, etc. Hence, you can sync your Twitch account, so you can stream it.
- High-performance recording mode that lets you record screens for browser windows and other software windows concurrently.
- It possesses an audio mixer that allows you to filter the sound, such as noise suppression, adjusting the volume, and other functions.
- OBS lets you preview your scenes and recording mode first, even before starting the process.
Camstudio is an open-source screen capture tool built for Windows computers exclusively. What's good about this recorder is its very intuitive and minimalist interface. Here, you only need to determine the screen area that you want to capture and hit the "Rec" button to start. Besides, it lets you add the webcam overlay window and include it on the recording.
- Camstudio lets you save the recording in AVI, SWF, and other video formats available.
- It guarantees it retains the original quality for the screen recording and saves it for up to 4K resolution.
- All of its features are available for free.
Comes next on this list of open-source software for screen recording is ShareX. It is one of the oldest tools in this post, providing quality recording features for over 12 years. The software boasts a lot of capture and recording modes you can choose from. In fact, it even lets you control the recording process using hotkeys for added efficiency.
- It can share your recorded screen video to other platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, and others.
- ShareX can record for as long as you want. Just remember, this depends on your remaining storage space.
- The software lets you record your screen and save it as GIF.
The next free, open-source screen recorder that is built for Windows computers is VirtualDub. The good thing about it is that it is even available for older versions of Windows, including 98, XP, Vista, etc. Moreover, VirtualDub automatically saves the screen recording video to AVI format, which is suitable for Windows's media players.
- It has audio filters that you can monitor in real-time that lets you reduce the noise, adjust the volume, and others.
- VirtualDub has basic video editing options such that can blur, sharpen, or resize the video recording.
- Also, it can compress the final output in case you are saving disk space.
As its name suggests, Freeseer is another free, open-source screen recorder that you can rely on. This one is available to install on your Windows, Mac, or even Linux computers. Additionally, it lets you record from external devices like a webcam, another computer, or others. Also, it enables you to adjust the volume, mute the audio, and control it as you like while recording.
- Its main purpose is to record webinars, online meetings, conferences, and others.
- Freeseer can save the videos to OGG and WEBM formats that lets you upload the output to YouTube.
- You can download several plug-ins for additional services for Audio and Video mixing.
If you're looking for minimalist yet editing features for an open-source desktop recorder, try UltraVNC Screen Recorder. Aside from recording, you can enhance the video with video effects, filters, and other tools. Furthermore, it lets you record your webcam, which is excellent for live recording stream, gameplay, and others.
- It can record several windows opened on your screen at the same time.
- Ultra VNC lets you save the recording in MP4, which is acceptable for almost any device.
- Even you have a low CPU processor, Ultra VNC can optimize the recording process since it automatically compresses the final output.
Kap is an open-source screen video recorder built for Mac computers. It is available for macOS 10.12 or later. The software lets you save the recording in MP4 and WEBM format. Aside from that, it even lets you create GIFs through screen recording. Also, you can take screenshots using the tool and save them in PNG format.
- It allows you to record and highlight mouse cursor and movements, which is essential for video tutorials.
- Kap allows you to trim the audio and video recording to remove unwanted parts.
- The software presents a very intuitive interface to access the tool using the Menu bar of your Mac computer.
SimpleScreenRecorder claims that it is the best open-source screen recorder for Linux computers. Based on its name, expect to see a minimalist and intuitive interface wherein you can record the screen directly compared to other Linux recorders, including VLC and FFmpeg. The tool lets you record in high-quality for up to 30 fps. Also, you have the choice to capture the audio or mute it.
- It can detect external devices and include them in the recording like headphones, webcam, and others.
- In case you have a slow computer, don't worry since SimpleScreenRecorder adjusts the video frame rate automatically to avoid or reduce lag.
- You can monitor recording time, running file size, and the frame rate while recording is on-going.
If you are knowledgeable about editing codes, RecordMyDesktop is the perfect open-source recording software for you. Here, you can perform basic recording functions like starting and saving the video by entering codes in your command prompt. Aside from that, it also presents an interface window, which is perfect for beginners.
- RecordMyDesktop lets you live stream your recording and sync it to your accounts for Facebook, YouTube, or others.
- It saves your recording for up to 1080p resolution.
- Features several recording modes that it even lets you capture your screen based on aspect ratios.
Of course, if we can do it on computers, we can also record our screen on our phones. ScreenCam Screen Recorder is an open-source Android screen recorder available for version 5 or above. Even though the app is free, expect that no ads are appearing before, during, or after the recording. Also, it lets you pause or resume the recording as you want.
- You choose your preferred resolution, fps, and bitrate to ensure you'll achieve high-quality recording.
- It accesses your front camera and adds the camera overlay to include it on the recording.
- ScreenCam Screen Recorder lets you trim the video output.
Another excellent and powerful screen recorder that is accessible for both Windows and Mac computers is the AceThinker Screen Grabber Premium. It has a very intuitive user interface that lets you record your screen within few clicks. One good thing about the software is it lets you share the screen recording directly to other platforms. It includes YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and others. Furthermore, the tool can save the video to multiple formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, etc.
Try it for Free
- It has a Task Schedule function that lets you record the screen automatically.
- Screen Grabber Premium supports high quality video recording for up to 60 fps.
- You can insert annotations such as lines, texts, and drawings into the recording.
FAQs About Open Source Screen Recording Software
1. Which is better? Open Source or Closed Source software?
Open Source and Closed source are both free to use, but the difference is that an Open source can be used on all platforms such as Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. Unlike the Closed source, there is a limited platform that you can use. Open source code can also be shared with the public, and you can copy and modify it. Unlike the Closed source, it has a private source code wherein you can't modify and edit it.
2. Is it safe to use open source software for screen recording?
There are lots of people asking if it is safe to use an open-source free screen recorder. Most of them are using closed source software because it is more secure than the open-source one, is that true? Not really. Because open-source screen recorder is more reliable than closed source code, the source code is under the public's inspection numerous times, so you can leave the security problem alone.