Fraps is one of the most popular screen recorder software. It was well-known as a game capturing software before, but now people use it to record movies, video calls, etc. Fraps allow you to save your captured-screen videos in high quality for up to 7680×4800 resolution. Apart from this, you can easily record the audio coming from your screen and microphone. However, the recording features are limited. The recorded videos are always saved in large file size; for example, 2 mins screen recording may occupy 2GB space. If you want to find a free Fraps alternative for screen recording, here are the best five recommendations.
Best Free Alternatives to Fraps
1. OBS Studio
Next on the list of programs like Fraps is OBS. It is free software that enables you to capture the screen of your monitor. It is free and open-source software that can be installed for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. Further, OBS has a feature wherein you can set the recording's resolution depending on your preference. Aside from that, you can add an annotation to your videos without ease. It involves adding subtitles, drawings, and shapes to make your videos more efficient for the viewers. One of this tool's main features is that it can stream a live-gameplay and upload it directly to Twitch. Moreover, the unique factor about OBS is its ability to detect and record different apps or windows running on your computer. Regarding this, you can add multiple "Scenes" for each window open like images, apps, or browsers.
- You can adjust the FPS for better viewing of the recorded screen videos.
- It has an audio mixer that can filter noise or unpleasant sounds.
- It has a lot of confusing buttons that are not too advisable for beginners.
- OBS is not available to install on computers running in Windows XP.
Another free Fraps alternative is called CamStudio. It is software designed to record every action you do on screen. Since CamStudio has significant features, you can easily make tutorials or demonstration videos. To explain further, CamStudio allows you to make a screen record along with the audio captured from the microphone and the system sound. Next, you can add text or even draw to the screen-recorded video for highlights. Lastly, it can hide or show the cursor, which is a beneficial feature for some instances, like recording a video from streaming sites.
- CamStudio has no capturing time limit when recording screen.
- It can record videos up to 120FPS.
- CamStudio can only save recorded screen videos in AVI format.
3. AceThinker Screen Recorder Online
AceThinker Screen Recorder Online is a free Fraps alternative that can provide the best experiences in capturing your desktop screen movements. It is a web-based app with a clean interface that allows you to understand the tool's recording process quickly. To discuss more, AceThinker Screen Recorder Online can capture the audio from the system sound, microphone, or both. Additionally, you can capture the entire screen using its full-screen recording mode. But you can also adjust or customize the screen region too, depending on your desire. Moreover, one of the most excellent things regarding this tool is that it has annotation features. Here, you can add shapes, text, draw lines while you are currently recording your screen.
- It allows you to record the screen and save the outputs into popular formats, including MP4, AVI, MOV, and more.
- It lets you control over the recording process via hotkeys.
- It lacks other editing functions like adding filters, trimming, or rotating the screen recording.
4. Windows 10 Game Bar
Windows 10 Game Bar or the Xbox Game Bar is the built-in screen recorder app for Windows 10 version 17763.0 or later. The good thing about this Fraps Windows 10 alternative is that you can launch it instantly. Using your Windows 10 computer, you only have to press the combination Win+G to open the widgets for screen recording. Here, you can control all the recording aspects like audio volume, screen capture, etc. The audio control lets you adjust the gameplay volume, voice recording, and other apps opened.
- You can monitor the CPU usage to make sure your device is in optimal condition while recording.
- It has a community wherein you can interact with others users of the Game Bar.
- Only available for Windows 10 computers.
Best Paid Fraps Alternatives for Windows/Mac
1. AceThinker Screen Grabber Premium
Screen Grabber Premium can take the top spot as the best Fraps alternative. Why? This screen recorder is packed with essential features that help you capture any part of your screen instantly. It can record any activity like a live stream, gameplay, video chat conversion, and others. Additionally, it can capture the audio from the computer and microphone alongside the screen simultaneously. Screen Grabber Premium also offers editing tools that let you add annotations, texts, lines, or objects while the recording is still on-going.
- The screen capture feature has no watermark even you're only using its trial version.
- It can save the video recording in several formats like MP4, AVI, and others.
- Cutting or trimming the recorded video is available on its premium version.
With the help of Bandicam, you can make videos from the actions and movements of your desktop screen. Similar to Fraps, Bandicam is also a game recorder since it has a game recording mode. With this feature, you can record various 2D or 3D games, including Minecraft, LoL, GTA, and more. Moreover, this tool's output shows excellency since it uses the H.264 codec, which can save videos in good quality. Apart from this, you can quickly understand the software because of its user-friendly interface. You can notice the buttons instantly for recording, annotating, and adjusting the screen size from its home.
- You can set hotkeys to record, pause, and stop the process.
- It can extract audio from the video and save it in MP3 format.
- A watermark is embedded into the recording if you are only using its trial version.
- You can only save your recorded screen in two formats, MP4 and AVI.
Another software like Fraps that specializes as a game recorder is the D3DGear. This intuitive program lets you record your screen in full-screen in a single click. You can also set-up hotkeys for the basic functions so that you can use the tool more efficiently. D3DGear boasts that it can record your game in HD quality and save it as small file size. Aside from screen and game recording, the software allows you to live stream games, which is popular nowadays. It lets you stream the gameplay directly to Twitch, just like other programs like OBS and XSplit.
- You can upload the screen recording directly to other platforms including Facebook and YouTube.
- The program promises it only uses minimal percentage of your CPU performance to ensure you enjoy gaming while recording.
- D3DGear lets you enjoy a 15-day free trial but you need to purchase its premium version to continue using its services.