Screencasting is a way of capturing or recording your computer's screen, which is accompanied by an audio narration or background music. Meanwhile, some people who do screencasting add up graphics, video within a video, or some animations. It is beneficial for students who study at home. Gone are the days where students needed to do face to face lectures. They can download a screencast tutorial, and they can review it anytime. For teachers and trainers, they can also use screencasting to discuss and train their students. Aside from that, screencasting is also beneficial for businesses by improving customer retention. You can use a screencast to simplify your phone and email support. You can create a video tutorial series to help customers instead of sending pure text via email or phone call. Likewise, if you use it as a video advertisement over social media sites. However, not all screencasting software that you can find has all the features that you need to come up with a handy output. That being said, this article gives you the best screencast software that you can utilize.
The Best 8 Screencast Software 2020 - Free & Paid
1. AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro
AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro is a reliable and robust screencasting tool that you can use in screencasting. It can capture your entire screen, region, and webcam, giving you a high-quality output. Moreover, this can also let you record the audio using system sound, microphone, or both- perfect for lectures, tutorials, and other video demonstrations. Meanwhile, you can also add up annotations like shapes, lines, texts, and arrows on your screencast. Aside from that, in case you would like to add up screenshots, you can also utilize this tool. Screenshots will be perfect to use for your video's thumbnail in case you will be posting it online.
- It best for recording video along with its audio simultaneously
- You can save videos to MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, MPEG, and more.
- Its Task Scheduler feature allows you to set a date and time to record your screen automatically.
- It can record according to your mouse cursor movement.
- This tool allows you to set your preferred hotkeys to record your screen smoothly.
2. Free Online Screen Recorder
AceThinker Online Screen Recorder is an online tool that can do screencasting for free. It can record in full-screen, region mode, and webcam. Also, you can use an external microphone to put narrations on your screencast video. Aside from that, this tool allows you to put annotations like shapes, lines, and arrows on the video. You can run this online tool on both Windows and Mac, and it can provide a screencast video in HD quality from 720p up to 1080p. It is perfect for making a screencast regarding a website. Besides, this tool is so helpful whenever you need to make a quick recording on your computer screen.
- You can record your video and audio without limit.
- It allows you to save the video to AVI, MOV, WMV, FLV, MP4, and more.
- It lets you to start recording with just one click.
- After recording, this tool allows you to upload the recorded video directly to YouTube, Google Drive, Dropbox, and more.
- It allows you to draw shapes, lines, texts, and arrows to enhance the video.
Screencast-O-Matic is a combination of screen recording and video editing that costs you a low price. You can capture any activity on your computer in full-screen, region, and webcam. It also allows you to record the audio from your system sound, or use a microphone to add narration on the video. Besides, you can select the video quality from 720p to 1080p. Instead of hours of waiting for an email response, this tool helps lots of educators and their students because they can communicate better via video screencasting with this tool. Thanks to its Flipped or Blended Learning, it has easy-to-use video tools that can help you create tutorial videos that focus more on what matters.
- You can create animations and add it to your screen recordings.
- Its video editor can match screen recordings, imported audio, and video.
- It has a E2E screen recording solution for developers.
Screencastify is a Chrome browser extension that allows you to capture and share videos quickly. This free tool for creating screencasts lets you record video in desktop, browser tab mode, or via webcam. You can also use a microphone to put narration on the video. Most videos recorded by this extension are in 720p up to 1080p full HD resolution, perfect for a quick website review. Besides, you can trim your video from start and end, and you can draw shapes and lines while recording. It also allows you to crop, merge, and add texts on the video. In fact, Screencastify is being used by UX designers because it can capture full user experience.
- All recorded videos are saved to your Google Drive automatically.
- You can export the video to MP4, GIF, or MP3.
- Despite being a browser extension, it can record your screen without a watermark.
Camstudio is an open source screencast software that can record Windows computers in 720p HD quality. This tool can record your whole desktop screen or in regional mode. Aside from that, this software has a feature that highlights the mouse cursor during screen recording. However, all the videos recorded by this tool can only be saved in AVI format. But, you can convert the AVI videos to Flash format if you wish. Besides, Camstudio allows you to protect your video by putting a time stamp or watermark in it. This tool is a perfect way to take advantage of open-source free screen recording software because you modify its control by customizing its code.
- It can turn AVI videos into bandwidth-attentive Streaming Flash Videos thanks to its SWF Producer.
- It adds anti-aliased, high-quality screen captions to your recordings.
- There are no limitations or time limits when screen recording.
The next option for the best screencasting program is Camtasia, which is famous for capturing webinars and online calls in 1080p quality quickly. It can also record video demos, gameplays, and blogs without any problem. You can choose the recording parameters to full-screen, region mode, and webcam. Besides, you can take screenshots while recording. Also, you can record both system sound and microphone if you want to put background music with narration at the same time. Moreover, this tool also has a simple and yet powerful video editor that lets you trim the video, merge, delete, and crop. You can also save videos to MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, and more.
- It lets you add mouse effects like adding highlight cursor or click sound.
- You can personalize your shortcuts to control the recording process smoothly.
- This tool allows you to record streams simultaneously or separately.
If you're looking for the best free screencast software on Mac, then QuickTime Player is a nice choice. It is a built-in media player for Mac that can record your screen in 720p up to 1080p quality. This tool can record your entire screen, region mode, or using an external webcam. Also, it allows you to record your voice as a narration of the video. However, QuickTime can’t record the system sound of the video. But, it can be compensated with the help of third-party apps that can record audio. Another good thing about this tool is that its controls look like a DVD player that even first-timer users can understand how to navigate this tool easily.
- It can play iTunes audio and video files.
- You can use its QuickTime Broadcaster to stream live video to a QuickTime server.
- It has a feature called “Movie Recording” that can capture a movie in its length.
ScreenFlow is a top screencast software for Mac that lets you record and edit videos into a professional-looking one. It allows you to capture any activity on your screen, and it can include an external camera for screencasting. Don’t worry about the video quality because it can provide you a 1080p full High-Definition video. Besides, it has a built-in sharing to publish videos to YouTube, FaceBook, Vimeo, Wistia, and more. You can also organize your projects with nested clips, multiple track editing, color labels, markers, and more. It can also add animated graphics, titles, and logos to your recording.
- It enables you to create animated GIF and APNG files from any video project in this tool.
- You can add pro touches to your videos with transitions, texts, animations, and more.
- It also has a built-in stock media library where you can find royalty-free music and videos.
Tips for Creating High Quality Screencast Video
1. Conceptualize before recording: Making a video by screen recording without any content is hard as a rock. You can end up messing up the thing that you want to do. So, the first thing that you need to do is to think of appealing content, and write it down and make it a guideline for screencasting a video.
2. Keep it short: No one wants to watch a long length video, especially if the content is not quite catchy at first. A viewer can be satisfied from a video if the first 10 seconds of it caught their attention. So, it is best to keep your video short and clean, and make it understandable for your audience.
3. Put animations: Of course, a fun looking video is one way to catch the attention of your viewers. You can put cute or cool-looking animations on your video. Don’t forget to mind the content of the animation that you are going to add.
4. Include your Webcam nicely: You should know the correct angle of your web camera. You should always face your camera at the center. Meaning, you should show yourself in the middle of the video. Also, don’t forget that you should use a high definition of Webcam.
5. Talk slowly and clearly: For video demos or tutorials, you must speak slow and clearly. You don’t want your audience to misunderstand every word you say. So breathe, take it easy, and speak clearly.
6. Edit your screencast: Video editing is also essential to have a high-quality screencast video. You can trim the start and end part of the video to reduce dead air.
7. Use annotating tools: It is also helpful to use your tool’s annotating feature. If you want to point out the vital part of the video, you can draw shapes or arrows on that specific part.
8. Finish the video with a summary: Finally, when done screencasting, do not forget that suddenly ending the video is not helpful to viewers. Please finish your video with a summary of what you’ve discussed on your screencast.