Screenshots or snapshots have become a massive part of our everyday life. Whenever you have a conversation with your best friend and exchange screenshots, a student who captures the school articles for educational purposes and a lot more use for this matter. Screenshot or snapshot tools are trendy and very useful. There are different screenshot tools; they vary on features such as quality, screenshot size, file format types, supported operating system, and more. This article will discuss the 10 of the best free screenshot software with their key features. Please continue reading below.
Windows Snipping Tool
Windows Snipping Tool is one of the best free screenshot app for Windows that is installed by default on Windows PC. Mainly 7, 8, and 10. A free and easy-to-use screenshot software that provides quality screenshots on your desktop. Also, the tool is easy to launch. Just click the "Start" menu on your PC and type “snipping tool.” Then you have your Windows snipping tool.
- It has four modes of capture; Free-form Snip, Rectangular Snip, Full-screen Snip, and Window Snip.
- The snipping tool allows you to put notes on the screenshot.
- It has an option to delay for a few seconds when capturing the screen.
- The device will enable you to annotate the snapshot with a colored pen, highlighter, and more.
- Snapshot images can be saved as PNG, GIF, JPEG, and more.
- The captured image is automatically copied, and it is ready to be pasted.
GreenShot is free and open-source screenshot capture software that captures screenshots very smoothly. It is a light-weight screenshot software that captures images and saves them into various formats like JPG, PNG, GIFs that are perfect for editing in the future. Also, the tool has a full-screen option and selected-region area to capture. Here are the core features.
- Greenshot is a user-friendly interface perfect for novice users.
- Available in 26 different languages internationally.
- It allows you to choose from different capture modes such as the “Capture region,” Capture the last region,” “Capture fullscreen,” “Capture Window.
- Screenshots or Snapshots can be directly sent to clipboards, emails, and printers.
- It has a memory utility that remembers the last region that was captured.
- It has a built-in image edit for image editing.
- Effortlessly annotate and highlight parts of the screenshot that needs emphasis.
Capture anything with PicPick screen capture software. The all-in-one graphic design screen capture app. It contains editing features such as a protractor, pixel ruler, color contrast, picker, and more. You can also take advantage of the built-in editor that lets you add comments, text boxes, arrows, shapes, and more.
- You can send and share your captured images to different social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, and more.
- It can add image effects, watermarks, motion blur, frames, drop shadows, and more graphic options.
- The tool can be customized in your preference. You can change the hotkeys, image quality, file names, and a lot more options to choose from.
- You can delay the screen's capture, repeat the last capture, and have auto-save features.
- It supports the floating widget Capture Bar that makes it easy for you to take snapshots.
Screenshot Captor is a free screenshot software that is available for Windows. It can capture images in the full-screen, selected region, fixed-size, and more. Also, the software is very easy to use and needs minimal resources. Moreover, it supports third-party tools like file browsers, image editors, and more. One of the things it does is that the screenshot can be zoomed to 999%, which means the screenshot is very clear, and every pixel is visible.
- Screenshot Captor can capture images from webcams.
- It supports multi-screenshots from multiple monitors.
- It automatically cleans and trims the extra margins from captured images.
- Screen Captor is compatible with Windows XP and other versions.
- It contains a built-in editor with special effects like borders, frames, blur effects, shadows, and more.
An open-source and easy-to-use screen capture tool you can also use is LightShot.This tool offers a fast process of screen capturing with customizable captures. Also, LightShot is compatible with different platforms such as Windows/Mac, Chrome, Firefox, IE & Opera. See the key features below:
- Easy to use interface with just two button clicks to capture screen.
- You can edit the same screenshot while capturing your screen.
- It auto uploads screenshots online for sharing.
- It uses light system resources while running in the PC background.
- It captures high quality images.
- The built-in editor has many features like adding text, effects, arrows, and a lot more functions.
Take screenshots in a click with Monosnap. It also allows you to share the screenshots to other platforms. It is also an open-source, free screenshot capture software Also, Monosnap works as a screen recorder with actions like cursor movement and annotations. It supports JPG, PNG, and MP4 formats for screen recordings.
- It can record Full-screen, selected region, or window.
- You can set and customize hotkeys for personal convenience.
- It has a compassionate editor that contains a blur tool.
- You can use online storage like google drive to save captured images.
- It has a drag and drop interface right for novice users.
- It works as a recorder for GIF and other desktop activities.
- It has a cropping tool that removes unwanted excess of the captured image.
Snipaste is one of the best free screen capture software that offers an accurate yet easy to use screen capture and image annotating functions. Also, it can capture a full window or a selected region of the screen. It also allows you to annotate while taking the screenshot. Furthermore, you can customize the settings and controls for better usage and personalization.
- Automatically detects UI elements and gives pixel-level control over the cursor and also in the snipping area.
- It also has a built-in editor that contains basic features for annotation like the shapes, blur effects, shapes, and markers.
- It is auto copied once the image needs to be pasted.
- It supports GIF, JPG, and PNG formats.
ShareX is one of the best free screenshot apps for mac and windows. It is an open-source screen capture software that is very lightweight, easy capture sharing, and has no advertisements. It also has customizable workflow commands for a more personalized interface. ShareX has been with the industry for over 20 years. Furthermore, together with its screen capturing function, it also has a sharing function to various social media platforms like Flickr, Twitter, and more.
- It offers different capture methods such as full-screen, custom region, scrolling capture, screen recording, and more.
- You can upload the captured image of recording through social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- It has a built-in image editor with excellent features like image effects, annotations, image combiner, and more.
- It supports GIF, JPG, PNG, and MP4 for screen recordings.
Awesome Screenshot is one of the best free screen capture software extensions of Chrome. It doesn't need ample space on your desktop. You need to click the small button at the screen's top right to start your recordings and screen captures. You can also customize the interface for better usage. Save screenshots for personal use, with your friends, and work purposes.
- It can record both screen and camera for a better discussion of the topic.
- Instantly share screenshots or recordings through various sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Annotate Screenshot for a better explanation.
- Easy to install and use.
- Free with no advertisements.
- Compatible for both Windows and Mac.
Create Notes, docs, and more with the help of Nimbus Capture. One of the best screenshot software for pc. Capture and annotate informational screenshots useful for your everyday life. Nimbus Screenshot is an open-source multi-platform extension compatible with Web, Mac, Windows, Android, IOS, and iPad. You can use this tool for screen capturing tasks. With formats, GIF, JPG, PNG, and MP4 for recordings. Here are some of the key features:
- It has a secured system wherein you can put a password to your files.
- It is swift to upload and to share through Youtube, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more.
- Speed up the design process with its built-in image editor.
- Empower yourself through capturing and editing actual screenshots for school, work, and personal use.
Conclusion and Comparison Chart
Screen capturing software is very important in our daily habits. We just don't notice but they are so useful to us. These listed apps are the best free screenshot capture software you can choose from. These are the most popular tools for screen capturing available in the market along with their key features. Here is a simple comparison chart you can check for better picking of your screen capturing software. Please comment if you have any suggestions. Thank you for reading!
|Software||Editing Features||Output Formats||Share Option|
|Windows Snipping Tool||Trim, cut, crop and more||JPEG,PNG||None|
|Greenshot||Add text, crop, colour pen||JPG, MP4, PNG||Facebook, Google Drive, YouTube|
|PicPick||pixel ruler, colour contrast, picker, and more||JPEG, GIF, PNG||Facebook, Twitter, Google, and more|
|Screenshot Captor||borders, frames, blur effects, shadows, and more||JPG, PNG. MP4||Google Drive, Twitter, YouTube|
|LightShot||adding text, effects, arrows, and a lot more||JPEG, PNG, GIF||None|
|Software||Editing Features||Output Formats||Share Option|
|Monosnap||Crop, cut, trim, etc.||JPEG,PNG,MP4||Facebook, Google Drive, and more|
|Snipaste||shapes, blur effects, shapes, and markers||JPG,PNG,GIF||Youtube, Dropbox, etc.|
|ShareX||image effects, annotations, image combiner, and more||JPG, MP4, PNG||Facebook, Twitter, and more.|
|Awesome Screenshot||No||JPG, MP4, PNG||Facebook, Twitter, and more.|
|Nimbus Capture||Effects, cut, crop, designs||JPEG,PNG,GIF||YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive, and more|